Which saw blades?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Monkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I've owned a TS2500Ci for a few months and wonder if the general forum advice is to purchase a new blade(s). If so, which one(s).

I'm generally cutting across and along the grain on hard and softwoods and also cutting ply and veneered MDF.

The standard blade tends to tear out quite a bit.

I don't mind spending a little extra on a couple of decent blades, but if there is 1 decent blade that will do the job then I'd be happy with that also.

My research has lead me to Freud LP60 and LP40, any views?

Any further advice is welcome

Cheers, Jon

two different job cross cut and rip two different blades i think. one 40-60 tooth atb or triple chip and one 15-25 tooth flat top grind ans also a universal for solid woods(maybe)

I agree with Johnnyb, for crosscutting the more teeth the better for a smooth finish whilst for with the grain ripping a few as is possible to get IMHO, I use a 10" 80 tooth on my Dewalt and a 20 or 24 tooth on my 12" table saw.

TBH I have not found any difference which actual brand of blade I have used.

What I remember of the 2500ci is that the blade needs those two driving holes which are not available from all blade manufacturers

Ripping OAK that I bought from VENABLES. Have seen on tv others rip oak like a hot kife thru butter but all I get is scorched timber. Bought a new bandsaw to do the job but it is so slow. Don`t need a clean cut as I am putting all sections thru thicknesser. Think I am using wrong blade on saw table. Any ideas ?

Koolwabbit

Kool, would help to know what blade you have actually got.

Like the others around 24T for ripping and 48-60T with high bevel angle for the veneered board, I tend to use CMT which do have drive holes.

Jason

One of the differences between cheap and expensive blades is the size of the carbide tips. A good blade will have large tips that can be reground to sharpen the blade a number of times. :D Very cheap blades have very small tips that in some cases cannot be ground at all. :(

personally i recommend CMT blades which seem to be both sensibly priced and of decent quality.

you do however need two blades on a table saw one for ripping and one for cross.

mdf and mdc are best cut with a large number of teeth
whilst "real" wood need fewer, down to about 24-30.

paul :wink:

Thanks for the feedback.

Those nice people at D&M got a couple of Scheppach blades and Freud blades out and confirmed that the holes for the locating lugs are in the correct place. So I have ordered a LP60M (80T) for cross cutting and veneered boards, as I have an urgent need to for one, and I'll also get a dedicated blade for ripping in due course.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers, Jon

Back