Which router? (again!)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George_N

Established Member
Reaction score
My router table router has just died on me (A B&Q Trend-Tech 2 kW...speed controller gone) and I am taking that as an excuse to buy myself a decent replacement. I know that this has been asked and answered before but the search facility turns up so many conflicting posts that I thought I'd start a new thread. I have narrowed my choice down to three machines (I think). 1) Trend T11 2) Dewalt 625 3) Triton TRB001. As it is likely to be permanently mounted in the table, I am leaning towards the Triton. I already have some Triton kit (Workcentre and saw plus accessories) so I know the brand and Argee has written a very good review of the TRB001. The main thing holding me back from plonking down my hard-earned is the turmoil Triton have been through recently and that's what got me into considering the Trend and the Dewalt. On the face of it the T11 and the DW625 look very similar in outward appearance and technical spec. though the DW is generally about £50 cheaper (similar to the price of the Triton). I know these are all good machines so any help in making a decision would be apperciated.

that'll be because the t11 is based on the 625 design - theres not much to choose between them, though i like the t11s above table height adjustment.

My vote for the big Triton. Great machine and spares readily avaiable still from a local place near to me and I think the Triton worries have passed and they are coming back under another UK seller. Its good both hand held and table mounted.

I take it that the DW625 doesn't have through-the-table height adjustment then? I know that the Triton has a rack and pinion height adjustment with a fine adjuster too so maybe that narrows it down. I have been using Woodrat plunge bars on the old Trend-Tech and that worked pretty well but I think I'd prefer something a bit more refined.

Chems":vwstgnv8 said:
My vote for the big Triton. Great machine and spares readily avaiable still from a local place near to me and I think the Triton worries have passed and they are coming back under another UK seller. Its good both hand held and table mounted.

Chems do you have a link or name for the place selling triton spares ? my ROB triton sander has lost all its hooks off the sole plate so my sanding pads aint staying stuck so well :roll:

Sorry for crashing the thread :oops:

18 months ago I would have whole heartily recommended the Triton. But both of mine are playing up on me and I'll eventually move away from them. My table mounted Triton has something wrong with the rack an pinion. I have to kneel down and hold the top of the insert to wind it up. The fine adjust has never worked very well on either of them.

I quite fancy the big Freud router with the above table heigh adjuster. But it's not freely available over here.

For free hand work I think I'll end up being seduced by Festool. I just want reliable tools these days.

The main thing holding me back from plonking down my hard-earned is the turmoil Triton have been through recently and that's what got me into considering the Trend and the Dewalt.

I know people tote the Triton but I think it looks big and naff. Cheaply built, and i think people will regret buying them in time. Just seems to be a lot of hype with no substance.

I'd stick with proven machines. The Dewalt is nice but like you say there is no above table adjustment, but with a little engineering you could either have something made or make something if you are inclined. The dewalt is a good proven workhorse that gives years of service, parts and service are never to far away.

While the trend is a good machine i think they are over priced copies of other manufacturers, but at least good ones. You pay for their name, so why bother.

There are plenty of above table adjustment kits £££ that are designed for the round Port a cable bosh type routers and while this is of course a very good option it is very expensive. If you do a lot of routing in a table though it is worth the investment.

Thanks for the replies so far guys. The negative comments on the Triton are a little surprising as lots of people have praised them in the past. However this is exactly why I posted the question...I'd rather hear the negative side of a piece of kit before I buy than to have people say "I could have told that was rubbish" after the event. OK, so I've gone from strongly fancying the Triton to somewhat cooler, and that brings the DW back into the frame. If it is essentially the same as the Trend, but cheaper, maybe that is my best bet. Above the table height adjustment isn't a "must-have", though it would be nice and I already have an XtremeXtension so above the table bit changing will be no problem, whichever machine I buy. I'm also swaying towards the DW625 because there are lots of them about and parts/servicing will be readily available and if I bought from say, Axminster, I know I'd get good after sales service, which I wouldn't be so sure of with the Triton.

Another vote for the big Freud here, although I own the small Triton myself :shock:

The Triton's a good, solid router but IMO the above table adjustment is overrated when you still have to fiddle underneath to lock off and open the safety cover on the power switch. The long plastic height adjustment handle is also a pain.

If I had my time again I'd definately go for the Freud. Toolstation and Machinemart sell it in the UK although strangely not the 2200W version that we've got here in Norway.

Mark

eggflan":1dh9gpj1 said:
Chems":1dh9gpj1 said:

Chems do you have a link or name for the place selling triton spares ? my ROB triton sander has lost all its hooks off the sole plate so my sanding pads aint staying stuck so well :roll:

Sorry for crashing the thread :oops:

Northampton Woodworking Centre. They have this HUGE pile of Triton spares at the back of the shop upstairs so I guess they might have a few ROS spares.

Nope, the one I intend getting eventually is the 3000. It's got above table height adjustment. AFAIK not available in the UK any more tho...

Freuds seem to be relatively rare compared with Trend/Dewalt/Triton, which is one reason why I am less keen on them. The through-the-table height adjustment does make the 3000 interesting though, despite the lack of availability. What is the story with height adjustment with the DW625, when mounted in a table? I know that the Router Raizer can be retro-fitted but that puts the price up to the same as the T11.

Wizer, Toolstation list the FT3000 for £168, but appear to be out of stock at the moment.

wizer":2wq8ucck said:
18 months ago I would have whole heartily recommended the Triton. But both of mine are playing up on me and I'll eventually move away from them. My table mounted Triton has something wrong with the rack an pinion. I have to kneel down and hold the top of the insert to wind it up. The fine adjust has never worked very well on either of them.

I quite fancy the big Freud router with the above table heigh adjuster. But it's not freely available over here.

For free hand work I think I'll end up being seduced by Festool. I just want reliable tools these days.

Mine started doing that after a while, its just dust getting into the mechanizm a bit of WD40 works. The fine height adjuster needs to be backed off fully every now and then as eventually you must turn it all the way in or something and it stops working. Good tools they are.

I bought my T11 from D & M tools in Twickenham last month. They have (or had) an offer of a 1/4inch collet thrown in, at around £225 (incl. VAT) around 25-30 cheaper than the DeWalt, which anyway doesn't have the through-plate height adjustment. I don't know if it's still available, but I'm pleased.

The through plate height adjuster looks well thought out. I can't recommend the quick release system, as I think it's poor value, but I did have the plate drilled for them and have partially fitted them. The bolts and sleeves act as a really positive locator for the router, meaning the main mounting bolts align perfectly and very easily. It's little extra effort to do up the bolts, but I can see if you use Trend's table (which I guess is intended for site work), there may be a setup time saving.

If you do get one, you can get away with 17mm on the adjuster hole (not the 20mm they suggest), because the supplied long socket/handle has an o.d. of only 16.5mm. I got my aluminium plate drilled and countersunk locally, and gave the firm 1:1 drawings based on the drilling dimensions Trend supply in the router manual - everything fits perfectly, and you can change the cutters from the top, when fully raised the collet is roughly level with the table surface.

I also found the collet nut as a spare (Miles), about £5 cheaper than as an 'accessory', so have a second one to avoid messing about when switching shank sizes (I can only just get them to unclip by hand - a dowel is probably the answer, but I'd hate to bend those thin collet segments).

I have to 'fess up though: my T11's not up and running here yet, as I'm still doing mods to the table etc., so I can't speak to how well it actually works! It's a bit frustrating, (but domestic politics are involved too).

HTH, a bit at least...

I have stripped it right down, cleaned it and re-built. It improved it for about ten minutes then started doing it again. It's got worse since.

George, I should say that I've never seen this router up front. I'm going on some reviews and the spec sheet. I'd advise you get a look before investing. A while back I emailed Freud UK to get an alternative supplier, but a guy replied with two words 'Call Me'. That irked me considerably and I didn't call him. But you might be a bit more normal than me. :duno:

Thats a shame tom, hope mine doesn't go like that as I loves it lots. It was my first proper tool purchase!

Chems":30qllkqy said:
Thats a shame tom, hope mine doesn't go like that as I loves it lots. It was my first proper tool purchase!

It was my first proper router. I had a Ferm before that which was\is pants. I've raved about the Triton on here for years. But I think it wasn't built for longevity. Or maybe I just got a lemon.

I seem to be in the minority here but speak as you find, I woundn't swap my T11. Used most days its been reliable and the above table adjustment is a positive plus in my book.

Back