Which Power feed for a Spindle Moulder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate knowing what you would recommend. It must be 240v. If there are any problems you have encountered, price of wheels, what to avoid. Really anything that you would have liked to have known before you bought the unit. They seem a very expensive bit if kit......I would like to get it right.
Thanks

Don't buy one that has been laying buried in manure on the floor of a cattle barn...... How do I know that....... Because I was foolish enough to do it. The aluminium had corroded too badly so it is totally useless.

Good point, the old adage of where there's muck there's brass didn't pay off!

I was looking at the Axminister Comatic power feeds, they seem to be the only ones I can find that are single phase? Are they any good? The top 240 model costs circa £850 is it worth the money?

Only issue with ours is when it gets hot its leaks a little oil ( residue greasynessism from the cogs) quick wipe with a paper towel and alls good though.

I have the Felder F38 power feed, this is one bit of kit I would not be without. We use it all the time and it's not missed a beat in 8 years. Lots of speeds in both forward and reverse. I believe it's on summer promotion at £591.96 + vat and possibly delivery.
If you are getting a new one check that you can adjust it between horizontal and vertical so putting pressure on the bed or fence, the F38 does this, smaller/cheaper models may not.

http://www.felder.at/files/2014/06/summ ... _eng-1.pdf

Cheers Peter

deema":dzpngi8c said:
I was looking at the Axminister Comatic power feeds, they seem to be the only ones I can find that are single phase? Are they any good? The top 240 model costs circa £850 is it worth the money?

Shop around if buying new, when I looked into getting one Comatic seemed to be the main brand which came up, even if it had different livery & some places were a lot cheaper than others.

I have the baby Comatic that I use on the router table and which works a treat. I have a generic power feeder on my spindle moulder which is OK. You just need to make sure that it can be locked up securely to stop it shifting mid-cut. Two of the levers on mine wore out the thread in their mating nut and so I resorted to using hex bolts and an Allen key.

I have seen Peter Sefton's Felder and given the chance to start again would definitely go for it.

Do you have mounting holes already in your moulder top? If so (or even if not!) make sure you can fit the power feed in a position that lets you use it both horizontally and vertically AND also lets you move the fence back far enough. My feeder struggles to give me the range for applying horizontal pressure on the timber sizes I use.

Thanks Roger, good points. I have a Sedgwick SM4ii, which I will need to bore and tap mounting holes in the top for the power feed.

Hi deema - comatic are a very respected and reliable brand - if you are still considering the af308 then call data powertools in Cardiff as I know they have a one off ex display af308 (unused) that they would do a very good deal on.
Speak to Nick Dando to get a good price - I was in there yesterday
Hope this helps
Best regards
Nick
Jet
BriMarc

Latest posts

Back