Which Plunge Saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I know there has been a lot of discussion on plunge saws but many of the posts are pretty old now with out-of-date prices.

So... for the past few months I have been renovating my house, and now that the work has finished I want to start making proper things.

Throughout the renovation I've gathered a reasonable tool collection but have been woefully let down by my (now returned for a full refund at B&Q) Skil circular saw due to its stubborn refusal to follow the guides I've built.

So I've set my heart on a plunge saw but which one? I am a firm believer in buying good tools after making some mistakes with cheap and nasty things.

My budget can stretch if it is worth it and I have heard many good reviews on the Festool, but are the alternatives comparable in terms of quality and accuracy?

Hi mark I can't say anything about other saws but festool 75 is the tool I use the most its absolutely fantastic I’ve went for 75 because of cut depth at 45 and it was well worth it

mark aspin":2fc3dzk1 said:
Hi, I know there has been a lot of discussion on plunge saws but many of the posts are pretty old now with out-of-date prices.

So... for the past few months I have been renovating my house, and now that the work has finished I want to start making proper things.

Throughout the renovation I've gathered a reasonable tool collection but have been woefully let down by my (now returned for a full refund at B&Q) Skil circular saw due to its stubborn refusal to follow the guides I've built.

So I've set my heart on a plunge saw but which one? I am a firm believer in buying good tools after making some mistakes with cheap and nasty things.

My budget can stretch if it is worth it and I have heard many good reviews on the Festool, but are the alternatives comparable in terms of quality and accuracy?

Any circular saw must be adjusted to have the blade parallel to the sawbase,
Easy way to do that is with a sub-base. The saw is going to follow the guide without any problems.

Keep in mind tht plunge saws are limited use saws and you can only use them with the tracks.
Best one is the rear plunge saw like the hilti saws.
They can be used on and off the tracks.
You can plunge safer and easier and you can start your cut in plunge mode or in normal mode.
Some food for thought.

enjoy.
ycf dino
eurekazone

I have been using the Mafell mt55c for the past 12 months,
The quality of the saw and the work it does are excellent. It is very good on manufactured boards and laminated products due to the scoring feature.

The only slight downside is that the anti kick back stop is an extra. and it should be standard to allow deep ripping of hardwoods where kick back is more likely to occur

I would hate to be with out it now, use it all the time for triming doors, work tops, sink cutouts, I even used it to join the edges of a 4.5 metre table top

http://www.mafell.de/cms_download/mafel ... _klein.pdf

I read an in depth review/comparison between the DeWalt and Festool before I bought mine (a year ago), and there didn't seem to be any advantage in choosing the more expensive Festool. I went for the DeWalt, and I've used it plenty. I love it, it cuts perfectly every time, I can't see the point in spending more unless you have an FS collection and can put it throught the books.

Triggaaar":34o9aqza said:
I read an in depth review/comparison between the DeWalt and Festool before I bought mine (a year ago), and there didn't seem to be any advantage in choosing the more expensive Festool.
One big advantage for me is being able to use it with my MFT...

I plumped for the makita as it was on offer - £320 with two rails, connectors and a bag. Very pleased with it - do a search for my review.

Cheers

Karl

I think the festool will be too expensive for me. I was considering either the Dewalt, Makita or a Mafell.

I was leaning towards buying the Dewalt because I have a Dewalt DW625EK router which can be used with the Dewalt rails with an adaptor, but I don't think it has the scoring function of the Makita and Mafell saws?

If I didn't buy a Dewalt plunge saw I could use the rails from the Mafell or Makita as a straightedge anyway.

Thanks

iirc the mafell costs more than festool

i have the festool and love it :)

what ever you choose bare in mind you need a decent extractor to hook up as dust soon builds up in the housing without

we've got the dewalt at work and we vrate it - however you do need the clamps (optional extra) particularly when cutting smooth stuff like mdf - the non slip on the underside isnt the best and the rail is likely to move mid cut otherwise

speed":27kc1o5l said:

Some do but, they also do this model, which is competitively priced against the Makita and DeWalt models (sorry, if I'm not helping with the decision making, here! :oops: :wink:). I haven't looked too closely to compare the specs. either.

OPJ":2njxqe8p said:
speed":2njxqe8p said:

Some do but, they also do this model, which is competitively priced against the Makita and DeWalt models (sorry, if I'm not helping with the decision making, here! :oops: :wink:). I haven't looked too closely to compare the specs. either.

Just be aware the Mafell that OPJ links to only has a 40mm depth of cut, so not really comparable to the others - be a bit of a bummer if you spent the money and only then found that it wouldn't cut all the way through the exterior door you're trying to trim down :shock:

I don't think you'll find anyone who's regretted buying a plunge saw - they're all good tools, though each model has slightly different pros & cons. Nothing to stop you doing a scoring cut with a Festool or DeWalt btw - you just don't get a preset for it is all, and it's less of an issue with the Festool as you get a zero-clearance splinter guard 'foot' for it that attaches to the front of the saw. I have the Festool (only game in town when I bought mine) and wouldn't hesitate to buy it again as it has the right combination of features for me.

The only thing worse than spending more than you need to is spending less than you should have (I think I'll put that in a sig. lol!) but the difference in price between the cheapest (Makita) and most expensive (Mafell) is almost negligible when taken over the life of the tool, so why not find the saw with the features you need, that's right for you, then figure out how to raise the funds/convince the better half?

Cheers, Pete

edited for clarity

Hi i agree the mafell saw in OPJ link wont cut through aN exterior door, but will cut interior doors quite happly, it will also cut 40mm worktops but they need to be cut from the top not from the underside due to the saw working at full depth.
I have used one at work for a few years and its very useful, it was used alot on a 800mm ridgid guide which very handy for allsorts of jobs.
It is much lighter to use than the bigger mt55c, But they have different capacities so they are very hard to compare.
The KSS300 is another very good tool, the saw guide does away with the need for a chop saw, I have seen them used alot for mitring deep skirting etc.

one more point to add.
i use the guide tracks a lot & i found that the package of buying the mafell mt 55 c/w with a 1.6 track over the festool with a 1.4 track a very good idea.a 1.4 track is pretty useless in my job.

but the guide tracks are interchangeable. there both pricey itesm but mine is coming up to 2 years old & gets used daily & has never missed a beat .

Festool for me due to ease of use, have a makita a bit more footery. I added guides to my package and join them up when needed. I already had the vacumn to go with the saw as I have other festool kit. Fitting kitchens I like my festool.

Back