Which One to Buy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well no, of course not. If I just wanted 'a lathe' I could get one, I want a GOOD lathe.
<ducking incoming>

Spindle":2njrx1je said:
Grahamshed":2njrx1je said:
The way things are going by the time I have persuaded SWMBO that I need one ( Axi 1628 that is ) they will be out of stock.

Bet you don't tell her that the CL4 package would be £800 cheaper :twisted: :twisted:

I am really pleased with my 1628 but it has some design shortcomings (in my opinion) some very small others a bit more work to fix.
1. the belt change cover is held on with an allen screw. the key for this is not supplied and it ought to be a thumbwheel not a screw.
2. the original faceplate that comes with it is allen screwed to the spindle. There is no mention of this anywhere and the requisite allen key is not supplied. the result is about 30% of new owners (including axi staff) damage the threads on the spindle when unpacking from new.
3. the tool rest wont allow you to dip your tool handle more than 20 degrees before you start pivoting on the back of the rest which is rough and unhardened.
4 the tool rest is set back from the supporting column so when facing bigger diameters you have to position the toolrest too far from the work or the support with foul the work.

5. When using the extension bed for larger work the banjo is too short to position the toolrest outside the bowl

Both 3 and 4 can be fixed by making a new toolrest with rear clearance and a front overhang to clear the supporting post. Alternatively you could steal a rest from a jet lathe. I guess for 5 you would need to make a bigger banjo.

The tailstock is graduated for 10 cm movement. But inserting a full 2mt with tang steals 2.5 cm ie 25% of the available movement. This caused me a minor problem drilling a hole through a rolling pin I was making. It could be cured by cutting 2.5 cm off the 2mt tool but that could lead to other problems. Basically the tailstock is incorrectly made. My modern cheap Chinese pillar drill or my near 100 year old metal lathe does not suffer from this fault.

If the steel locking pin to lock the spindle had a place on it so it could be attached to the lathe it would be better. My pillar drill does.

Finally and this is probably not exclusive to the 1628. If you pull the plug or switch it off at the mains, For a little while pushing the start button will run the motor for a turn or two. It could easily catch you out. It is because there is no electronic interlock built into the variable speed electronics. Ideally lack of input power should inhibit the electronic motor run function.

I know these may seem "picky" but to me it shows lack of finesse in the design, bit like windows all the individual parts built and designed by separate committees.

Interesting points woodfarmer ( I am afraid we have hijacked this thread ) All worth thinking about but not enough to put me off. I really don't see that there is any competition in this price bracket.

Grahamshed":1544qx0p said:
Interesting points woodfarmer ( I am afraid we have hijacked this thread ) All worth thinking about but not enough to put me off. I really don't see that there is any competition in this price bracket.

Don't get me wrong it is a good lathe and I would probably buy it again. it is just there are few things that can be fixed easily enough that shouldn't be there in the first place. It is -very- versatile, My primary focus is bowls, sometimes large. it does that. it had a swivelable headstock and the extended bed to help. it is basically a shorter bed lathe, not a problem to me as i don't do a lot of spindle turning anyway, but I could always raise the extended bed and have a useful long bed lathe. I doubt I will ever run out of lathe with it.

The one problem I do see with the 1628 is the extended bed / legs combo. The extended bed cannot be used in 'big bowl' format without buying the legs as well and the new price Axi are charging for them seems a tad extortionate. I am planning to put it on a bench and hope I never want to make anything wider than 16 inches.

Grahamshed":3cn74423 said:
The extended bed cannot be used in 'big bowl' format without buying the legs as well

Hi

I found Woodfarmer's review very interesting and well balanced - his comment re the tool post on the extension bed is particularly relevant, in order to turn a large diameter item on the outboard facility it seems you will have to purchase the floor standing tool rest, (£310), in addition to the leg stand and bed extension !! That's now £2230 for the package, virtually double that of the CL4, (I know the theory of diminishing returns but this is a bit severe).

Doing a little comparison between the 1628 and the CL4, I was surprised to see that the Axi is heavier by only 6kg - I'd assumed that the difference was significantly greater. It now wouldn't surprise me if the Record is heavier when both are equipped with leg stands, (the Record one is 46kg but I can't find a weight for the Axi legs).

I'm sorry if I come across as blinkered, but the more I look into comparisons between the 1628 and the CL4 the more difficult I find it to see how Axi is good value.

Regards Mick

I think that's wrong Mick, you need the legs and the outboard attachment, you don't need to buy the extension as well. Still a lot of money though.

Edit: lathe - 1400, stand 360, extension (which comes with extended tool post) - 160, so total £1920.

Woodmonkey":2ijwvtku said:
I think that's wrong Mick, you need the legs and the outboard attachment, you don't need to buy the extension as well.

Hi

But as Woodfarmer has pointed out:

5. When using the extension bed for larger work the banjo is too short to position the toolrest outside the bowl

Therefore you will need the free standing tool support or some equivalent means of moving the tool rest away from the lathe centre line.

Edited to add - At £2230 that's the same price as a new Record Maxi 1, (OK you'd have to shell out £150 for the outboard rest if 21" over the bed wasn't enough). I'd say there was no competition there and we are comparing items in the same price range.

Regards Mick

Grahamshed":s05zhejp said:
The one problem I do see with the 1628 is the extended bed / legs combo. The extended bed cannot be used in 'big bowl' format without buying the legs as well and the new price Axi are charging for them seems a tad extortionate. I am planning to put it on a bench and hope I never want to make anything wider than 16 inches.

It is neither difficult or expensive to make up a free standing toolrest. With that you are unlimited to the size you can turn. Just be sure you make a sturdy and heavy stand for your lathe. and ask axi if you can have a jet toolrest instead of the one supplied. ( you can buy a 6" jet toolrest as an optional extra. ask for the 12" (300mm) as well.

woodfarmer":2tct4o1c said:
Grahamshed":2tct4o1c said:

It is neither difficult or expensive to make up a free standing toolrest. With that you are unlimited to the size you can turn. Just be sure you make a sturdy and heavy stand for your lathe. and ask axi if you can have a jet toolrest instead of the one supplied. ( you can buy a 6" jet toolrest as an optional extra. ask for the 12" (300mm) as well.
Duly noted about asking for Jet tool rest(s)

I have been looking at ( details of ) the Record maxi 1 which I have to admit had bypassed me. It is an impressive looking machine and the 21 inch swing would probably mean I wouldn't need any way of doing anything bigger but it is longer than I wanted and although it is sort of in the same price range it sort of isn't either. :)
Mounting the axi on a cupboard/trolly/bench would mean I could make my own attached outrigger which would give me huge turning capacity without having a long lathe.
I am tempted by the Maxi but think I will stick with the 1628.

I wouldn't change my 1628 for any other in the Axi or Jet range. I looked at Record in Yandles but solid as they are, they looked 'retro'. As mine is bench mounted, I did look at the CL4 as it was bench mountable, but there did seem to be the value difference between it and the 1628 (I bought before the £150 price rise) if both were to be used as is, and not for turning cartwheels. For bowls up to 18" with the head swivelled 30 degrees, nothing else is needed, and bench mounting it with no end access, this is ideal. I haven't got the extra 18" space to put a four foot bed lathe and this is a great piece of kit with oodles of power.

I have added the Sorby modular rest system as Woodfarmer is right, the supplied rest is not ideal. I don't think the front is hardened, let alone the back.

The OP should have a look in the for sale section, the lathe and accessories there would probably suit to a 'T'.

Phil

Latest posts

Back