Which lathe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonzjob

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Ex nr Carcassonne, France. Now Corston Malmesbury
I know that this subject has come up loads of times, but I couldn't find a thread that fitted properly?

I'm talking about anyone getting their first lathe and what size to get? The argument went along the lines that you can do small work on a big lathe, but not big on a small one.

I just wanted to show the ability of doing that small work. My lathe isn't that big, a Record CL1 with 36" between centres possible.

Latheb.jpg

Lathea.jpg

There's more detail of the little candle stick on the thread "New challenge" if you want to look..

I agree with the big lathe over little lathe from experience. I was working on a Jet mini for 12 months and found it pretty restricting with a max. length of under 12" and over the bed of 9" I hadn't realised that i was needing any more but it is surprising how often it was a nuisance. I have since acquired an old Tyme Avon which I have done 20" over the side, it has a 1hp motor so I don't stop it so often and I turned a walking stick last week 3' long in one piece. I also, like you do miniatures and all these were done on it. with an old bar supernova chuck and pin jaws

These are 1.12th scale for someone's dolls house, candle sticks are 3/4" tall

The buttons are 15mm dia.

Go big, If just starting, unless money is no object 2nd hand can be a good investment, mine cost £160 with a chuck, extension pieces, a couple of different tool rests and a solid work bench thrown in. No need to be thrifty and buy small or spend a fortune to start.

Pete

Jonzjob":1ca8k7eo said:
You got that candle stick yet Blister?

Wot yer making with that lump??? and how long does it take to stop from 2000 rpm? :shock:

OK hands up

its not me in the photo , that photos is of the Hegner web site

The blank weighed in at 1 TON :shock:

They hollowed it out to 1/4 of a ton , if you look on the hegner web site it shows a photo of the completed item :lol:

Blister":3ocvl5c1 said:
And following on from your comments :lol:

You can do this on my lathe

Very_large_work_12-2.jpg

:mrgreen:

Hi, The guy is Steve Cooper and the piece was;

http://www.hegner.co.uk/system/index.html

Another piece, this time commissioned by the "Worshipful Company of Turners" for the 400th anniversary of the guild, was turned at the Stoneleigh Exhibition in September this year by Stephen Cooper. (Finished weight: ¼ ton approx. Height 4'6" by 4' diameter.)

And yes, buy the biggest, best lathe and vi-speed at that, even 2nd hand, grow into it, not out of it, you will save on the cost by not having to upgrade at a latter date.

Regards. David.

Back