Which hinges and drawer runners?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stev

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently preparing a quote for a TV unit, essentially a low sideboard which is to be sleek and contemporary in style so no visible hinges, door pulls or drawer pulls.

Taking the hinges first, they need to be invisible when the door is closed (so butt hinges, cranked or otherwise are out) and they also need to allow the door to open without clashing with the neighbouring door (the doors will be overlay to avoid visible frames, this rules out SOSS type hinges). Am I left with 'kitchen door' hinges as my only option?

With regard to the drawers they are to be mounted on double extension runners rather than traditionally fitted in order to maximise space and access for DVD storage.

I have been looking at Blum kit which seems to provide a solution to all the above with their 'Tip On' system for push to open doors and drawers. While I have faith that this will provide a reliable solution I can't get over the fact that it seems a bit like it came from a big blue and yellow shop! :?

Are there any alternatives out there that I am missing?

Otherwise can someone reccomend who to speak to about Blum kit? You know that rare type that is a human being who can help me understand all the bits I need and how to design them into my furniture.

Cheers
Steve

There's an old boy on the trade counter at Issac Lords in Wycombe that I always speak to when I need advice on Blum kit, might be worth giving them a ring? Unfortunately I don't know his name, and you'd need to ring the trade counter rather than the shop.

The Blum bits are much nicer than what Ikea put on their products.

Hi stev,

You could use a Flap hinge or cylinder hinge

CylinderHingeInstallationC.jpg

http://www.drawerslides.com/c/soss-invisible-hinge
Or you could use a pivot hinge

Thanks for that I'll give them a go.

I considered soss hinges but the trouble is they swing the door open the same way as a butt hinge so the door will foul the neighbouring one (the Blum ones allow the door to turn in its own space). I looked at pivot hinges too but they are also visible when the door is closed albeit less so than a butt hinge.

Cheers
Steve

Runner wise I would use Grass over Blum now as the Grass Dynapro runners which are fairly new to the market are fantastic, far better than the Blum.

Tom

Wurth sell Grass too. I like the dynapro runners and I prefer the height adjustment on the Grass hinges.

Thankyou all for your help.

The Grass stuff looks really interesting. I started to try to track some down but haven't had the most success yet. It seems SDS buy from Hafele still waiting for contact from Wurth who will hopefully have better product knowledge.

I imagine I'll be back for more help from those who have experience of using the stuff....

Back