Which hinge?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipdiver

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm currently making a larder unit for a job i'm doing and the customer wants spice/bottle racks attached to the back of the doors, which i'm also making. The doors will be 400 wide and 1150 high.

Given the extra weight of the racks, do i need a beefier hinge than normal? Will be using full overlay inset hinges on all the other cabinets. Will three of these suffice and what angle of opening would you recommend? Think 110 degree would be enough myself

I would go for 3 hinges, 1150 x 400 isnt very big.

110 deg seems fine unless you think it will want to be opened more for access.

Thanks for that. Wasn't sure if i needed a more heavy duty hinge with the extra weight but i think three standard hinges per door will suffice. I did have a thought about the 165/170 degree hinges being a lot more substantial, which i thought may help with the weight more than anything to do with the opening angle. Think i'll plump for 110 degree.

Any advantage with clip on over slide on? Bit paranoid about the doors coming adrift full of glass bottles with little ones in the house.

Quick look at the Blum hinge guide says three hinges should be okay for a door 0.9m wide x 1.8m high weighing 13.5kg so sure you will be fine.

Clip on hinges every time.

Doug

We normally just put 3 on.

Just make sure you reduce the width of the spice rack enough to allow the door to open and close and allow for the hinges being drilled into the back of the door.

tomatwark":197r1c2d said:
We normally just put 3 on.

Just make sure you reduce the width of the spice rack enough to allow the door to open and close and allow for the hinges being drilled into the back of the door.

Good point, thanks.

Back