Which hinge to buy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worsley947

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all
another question and advise, I am making a pair of mdf doors which are 18mm thick and will be inset to the cabinet
what type of hinges are the best for this
any info will be appreciated
thanks
dave

Depends on whether or not you want the hinge on show. I have a lovely old oak unit with the doors inset into the frame (not closing onto the frame), and they've used a good old butt hinge (huge range) with a simple check out the frame of the door and just screwed onto the carcass/unit. I'm sure they'll be other 'on show' hinges available. A very very simple way of hinging a cabinet door. But I'm sure the cabinet makers on the forum will be able to advise you on more professional nicer looking hinge than simple butts.

If you're wanting the hinge hidden then go for a clip-on soft close inset hinge - similar to the standard kitchen unit hinge - but inset hung. Ironmongery Direct sell them for £3.50 a pair (Code 926073). You will as you probably know, need a hinge boring drill bit (I think it's 35mm). I've never tried drilling them out by hand with this bit, only on my pillar drill.

Jonny

Back