Which glue for ABS plastic to wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the best glue to use for gluing ABS plastic to wood, I've tried epoxy with not much success.

Ian

I've not tried this but I reckon well roughened ABS and Polyurethane glue would work ok.
Moisten the wood with a damp, not wet, cloth and clamp firmly to resist the pressure from the foaming action.

Bob

If you could let us know what kind of application we might be able to give better advice. Window installers would use CA (superglue)

Si

Is there much call for installation of widows :D

For attaching plastic binding to guitars you use CA, that would be my suggestion

Hot-melt is a possibility, but might be tricky to do (think edgebanding)

I agree with the scuff the back and use PU (sparingly). Works for acrylic, too. Don't think I'd want to try hot melt on ABS, though, because it has such a low melting point

FatFreddysCat":1rhsn46a said:
Don't think I'd want to try hot melt on ABS, though, because it has such a low melting point

Learn something every day - didn't realise it was that low! ABS edgebanding must be a very delicate dance.

Sorry I should have mentioned its for producing my own bandings.

The PU sounds good will try today and let you know how it went.

cheers

Ian

Jake":286jjagj said:
ABS edgebanding must be a very delicate dance.
It can be. That's why most manufacturers of hot air edge banders are unwilling to guarantee their machinery with ABS or PVC edging tapes.

Be worth trying standard plumber's/electricians pipe-welding solvent. This certainly works for Perspex and ABS to each other, so would probably adhere to wood.

Jake wrote:
ABS edgebanding must be a very delicate dance.

It can be. That's why most manufacturers of hot air edge banders are unwilling to guarantee their machinery with ABS or PVC edging tapes.

That and the fact most of it comes without any adhesive on it so a hot air gun won't be much use, you need a glue pot edge bander where the glue is heated and not the edging.

Jason

I've used Gripfill (the one in the black tube) for glueing plastic to wood and it works really well. I've even glued the number plates on my car with it!

regards

Brian

When shaping the plastic binding for the guitar (as it's so brittle it can't take much bend without snapping) I quickly found that it went from solid to runny with a little waft from a hot air gun with not much warning. It's a nightmare to work with

If you wipe the abs with acetone to soften the surface, you can glue it with titebond.

Back