Which engineered oak floor?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alexfn":q5c2xpt0 said:
I own a flooring company. Khars is 30% more because of the brand name. The woodloc system is used by a lot of other companys and under different names.. 5g click for example.
Regardless dont fit a flooring floor. You want nail down t&g.

The Chinese oak is hit and miss. Some of the best stuff we do is coming out of poland and im paying 35+ vat for it. It retails online for 50ish

A quality oak floor will easly last 100 years. Lets see any laminate do that? Its all made from mdf

Camaro loc would be my choice over laminate
What would you suggest if the existing floor is concrete? I fitted a solid oak floating floor in my last property but had a few issues with movement so in my current house I had sort of decided on engineered oak. This house has solid floors and is over 100 years old so seasonal moisture changes are an issue. I've seen the adhesives you can use to bond the boards to the floor. Is this the way to go?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I have to second Kahrs again. I laid a Dark Oak floor at my last house and 5 years later when it came to selling it still looked fantastic.

Hi guys - just a quick "thank you" to all those who have offered their advice, and provided links to recommended suppliers. I have passed your comments on, together with a few of my own, and my daughter and son-in-law can make their own decision now. All help offered much appreciated.

You need to be careful with water near engineered wood. If you ar going to install it in a bathroom or kitchen then make sure you clean up any spills instantly

Just a bit of a leftfield suggestion.
Reclaimed sports court flooring.
A few years ago I did my living/ dining room with a reclaimed badminton court from a tennis club in London.
It is first grade Canadian hard maple with not a single knot in it. I paid a cheap price but I had to de-nail it and stuff and there was some wastage of dameged boards.
I laid it with tongue tite screws on to an OSB subfloor. Then I sanded it smooth to get rid of the court markings and oiled it.

This cost me the price of cheap engineered flooring but is 18mm solid timber. To buy this stuff new would be over £100 a m2.

Check ebay

Ollie

Just a bit of a leftfield suggestion.
Reclaimed sports court flooring.
A few years ago I did my living/ dining room with a reclaimed badminton court from a tennis club in London.
It is first grade Canadian hard maple with not a single knot in it. I paid a cheap price but I had to de-nail it and stuff and there was some wastage of dameged boards.
I laid it with tongue tite screws on to an OSB subfloor. Then I sanded it smooth to get rid of the court markings and oiled it.

This cost me the price of cheap engineered flooring but is 18mm solid timber. To buy this stuff new would be over £100 a m2.

Check ebay

Ollie
well done but there's got to be a joke in there somewhere..

Latest posts

Back