Which dust extractor, £100 - £200?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Running bagless is quicker but with certain models with HEPA filters ruins them quicker which are more expensive. Best of both worlds is a reusable bag.

Thanks
Chems":3dpsnmez said:
Running bagless is quicker but with certain models with HEPA filters ruins them quicker which are more expensive. Best of both worlds is a reusable bag.
Do any of the models I'm looking at use HEPA filters? And are there reusable bags for any of these models?

Oryxdesign":17nbj0ev said:
How about mine?
I don't know anything about it - filtration, bags/bagless, etc, compared to the units I'm looking at. Feel free to pm me details or post here.

Triggaaar":365ssv2j said:
Thanks
Chems":365ssv2j said:
Do any of the models I'm looking at use HEPA filters? And are there reusable bags for any of these models?

I dont know, but you want one with a HEPA filter if you want the best quality air coming out of the exhaust.

Thanks for the help Chems - but can I clarify what you're saying:
Chems":1gm82ra9 said:
Running bagless is quicker but with certain models with HEPA filters ruins them quicker which are more expensive.
Chems":1gm82ra9 said:
you want one with a HEPA filter if you want the best quality air coming out of the exhaust.
So you're saying that a vac with a HEPA filter is imortant for good exhaust air quality, but that it (the filter I assume) will be ruined more quickly?

Re the Fein Dustex, Axminster says "Fitted with a cloth filter boot; HEPA filters are available to order"
and there is an expensive HEPA module for the Numatic.

No.

If you have a vac with HEPA filters and run it without a bag, more dust will get through to the HEPA filter shortening its lifespan. If you have a bag this is a stage of filtration so if you remove it what was being stopped by the bag now has to be delt with by the next filter.

HEPA filters are expensive because they are the best in making sure none of the smallest harmful particles make it back out in the exhaust. Collecting the dust at the source is one thing, keeping it in the vac is another.

Its worth keeping an eye out on ebay as I got my Festool CT22 with HEPA filters ex demo from ebay for £240, and I think list price its something like 400-500.

If you're after a quiet vacuum then, I would recommend you take a look at the Nilfisk-Alto range, which someone briefly mentioned earlier in this thread. Noise-wise, they are quieter than most, in my experience. I believe the Henry vacuums are still quieter but, those ones lack the automatic take-off function (up to 1,800w on the Nilfisk vacuums, if I remember correctly).

I've had the Aero 25-21 model for a while now and regularly it with my SCMS, bandsaw, all my sanders, routers and any other tools producing fine dust. There's also a 'Push Clean' button that helps to keep the cartridge filter clean by blasting it with air - if it gets clogged, a vacuum becomes less efficient generally, including a drop in air movement and suction.

To be honest, I still find that the standard filter clogs up too quickly, particularly when working with MDF dust or damp, resinous pine. For about £15, you can replace this with a rubber filter (something which is included as standard on the larger models) but, I still haven't yet done this. :oops: I'm actually toying with the idea of upgrading the filter or, whether I should try to fit a Triton Dust Bucket in to the workshop, somewhere. You can of course make your own drop-box but, against the cost of <£40, is it really worth it?! This has several advantages - allowing you to visibly see the when the unit needs emptying without having to remove a lid and risk exposing yourself to all the fine dust inside; and also, as the dust bucket will capture the majority of the dust, very little should follow through in to the vacuum, meaning the filter remains clean and the efficiency of extraction is maintained.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks guys.
Chems":1u3910j6 said:
If you have a vac with HEPA filters and run it without a bag, more dust will get through to the HEPA filter shortening its lifespan.
Yes, understood. Some of the previous posts have suggested a Fein (or similar) without a bag (or a HEPA filter I assume) is good enough, so if that's the case the money saving will be useful.

Its worth keeping an eye out on ebay as I got my Festool CT22 with HEPA filters ex demo from ebay for £240
I've just checked ebay, and the Festool website. I assume the CT22 is an old model, and the CT22e a common variety of it - a second hand one (unknown usage) failed to sell on ebay for £95 (I'm assuming they don't come with HEPA filters as standard?). Gary recommended a Festool at the start of this thread and I conveniently ignored him :) I can't afford £450 for a dust extractor, it won't get that much use. £95 is the cheap option, and for me I think it's worth spending more like £200 for good filtration, but I don't fancy spending much more than that. (to be continued below...)

OPJ":1u3910j6 said:
If you're after a quiet vacuum then, I would recommend you take a look at the Nilfisk-Alto range, which someone briefly mentioned earlier in this thread.
Well when searching for details on the festool CT22 I found this old UK Workshop thread comparing the Festool CT22, Nilfisk Alto Attix 360-21 (replaced by Alto Attix 30-21), and Fein QA35E.

So more research to do. When trying to compare brands and models it's not obvious how their filtration and bagless use compares, so I don't seem any closer to a decision :)

I think the new range of CT vacs was released a few months back.

There's no need to have a HEPA filter. Its just one of those things, better quality air coming back out.

The one on ebay is the exact same model I have, mine has the hose garage ontop. I'm pretty sure they all come with HEPA filters mine did. For £95 can't go wrong really. The reason it didn't sell is probably because festool lovers like things to be clean and new and polishable so that used one wouldn't appeal!

It worth it for just the anti static hose, they sell for a fair bit:

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=Fest ... hl=en&aq=f

Thanks.

While searching I've also bumped into the Oneida Dust Deputy, which collects 99% of your dust before going into your vacuum. This would allow you to use bags and therefore good filtration in the main machine without filling them up much, and it would also save getting a large volume main machine. They're $99 in the states, but I can't see a UK distributor at the moment.

Quick update
PeterSk":13f1ydgi said:
I'd go for a Cambac myself, I've got a 55L twin motor one and it's the bees knees
I really like the look of the CamVac - 0.5 micron filtration without using a bag etc - but unfortunately, it doesn't have auto-start or variable power (which I think I'd like for the ROS).

The Numatic NV750 is a similar option (but benefits from having a bag), again without auto-start or variable power, so I won't go for that.

So my current favourites are the Fein Dustex, Festool CT22 (second hand only) and Nilfisk-Alto Attix 30-21PC.
So it's taken me this long to get where pooka started (he considered those 3 here).
The Nilfisk seems to have a great reputation, comparible with more expensive models, but it seems that the new version of the Alto Attix 360-21 (= 30-21PC) no longer has variable power. Curses.

If that's correct, that leaves me looking at the Fein Dustex and Festool CT22:
Paul Chapman":13f1ydgi said:
Triggaaar":13f1ydgi said:
Is there a disadvantage to running it bagless (apart from how you empty it)?

No - and you'll save yourself a lot of money not having to buy paper bags.
I was talking to Axminster about filtration levels, and they suggested you'd need to use a bag for the decent levels of filtration. It's difficult to know, Fein's UK website doesn't even list their dust extractors, and the US website lists them but doesn't give details of its bagless abilities.

So I'll keep my eyes open for a second hand Festool (one failed to sell on ebay 2 weeks ago, but I called and it's gone), or maybe go for the Fein.

Well fancy that. Someone should tell Fein's customer services, they told me it wasn't there and to look at their US site, where the 25 = Turbo 1 and the 40 = Turbo 2.

Thanks

keep your eyes on ebay especial at this time of year, just got a record dx4000 only 12 months old for £165.00

Personally I'm not that convinced of the merits of auto-start. I have my Camvac plugged into a convenient socket wherever I'm working, so I use that to switch it on and off. With small tools like a ROS or hand held planer, I find they get switch on and off so much (especially the ROS) that having the extractor respond to that is rather annoying with the sound constantly changing, and it's not good for the extractor to cycle like that either.

With my Metabo ROS, I find that just using one of the motors provides ample extraction without being so much as to glue the sander to the piece, whereas running the TS or P/T I use both motors on at once and they take care of as much muck as I can throw at them.

Plus the bagless nature of the Camvac is really very convenient, I've emptied mine once so far, and the first bag which stretches over the rim acts as a nice lid to keep all the shavings and dust in place as you lift the motors off. My last vac doesn't have this, so by lifting the lid you also pull a large heap of shavings over the top and spread a big cloud of dust around the shop too.

I'd have a look at Simon's (Oryxdesign) kit.

With multiple motors (independently switchable I think) if give a high / med / low option. + 0.5 micron is really all you need. The addition of the interceptor is a real bonus.

No connection, I just have a camvac triple myself and am really pleased with it.

S

Thanks all for the help. It seems that there's a few models that would do the job, while there are quite a few differences between each.
hunggaur":7g64da57 said:
keep your eyes on ebay especial at this time of year, just got a record dx4000 only 12 months old for £165.00
I will do, thanks. I can't afford a new festool and a second hand CT22 would be quite nice.

PeterSk":7g64da57 said:
Personally I'm not that convinced of the merits of auto-start. I have my Camvac plugged into a convenient socket wherever I'm working, so I use that to switch it on and off. With small tools like a ROS or hand held planer, I find they get switch on and off so much (especially the ROS) that having the extractor respond to that is rather annoying with the sound constantly changing, and it's not good for the extractor to cycle like that either.
Where I'm working it will be easy to switch on and off, so while it would be a nice thing to have I guess it's not a must have.
With my Metabo ROS, I find that just using one of the motors provides ample extraction without being so much as to glue the sander to the piece, whereas running the TS or P/T I use both motors on at once and they take care of as much muck as I can throw at them.
Interesting, thanks. I don't have a P/T, but I would like one, and I'd guess the CamVac would be a little more suitable than the dust vacuums I'm looking at (although the CamVac isn't cheap).
Plus the bagless nature of the Camvac is really very convenient, I've emptied mine once so far, and the first bag which stretches over the rim acts as a nice lid to keep all the shavings and dust in place as you lift the motors off.
Bagless with good filtration would be nice (seems the Fein may be capable here too with extra cloth filters). I'd empty the unit outside while wearing a mask if there was a lot of fine dust. I don't quite understand what you mean by stretching the first bag over the rim.

SVB":7g64da57 said:
I'd have a look at Simon's (Oryxdesign) kit.
Unfortunately I think Simon's kit is too big for my tiny workshop.

With multiple motors (independently switchable I think) if give a high / med / low option. + 0.5 micron is really all you need. The addition of the interceptor is a real bonus.
Which machine are you referring to with high / med / low options, and what is the interceptor you're referring to?

Which machine are you referring to with high / med / low options, and what is the interceptor you're referring to?[/quote]

I think the 'interceptor' is the cyclone and it's the triple motor camvac which are independantly switched so you can use 1 if that's all you need.

Back