Which dust extractor, £100 - £200?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triggaaar

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm after a dust extractor for my small workshop, to be used with tools like my SCMS and Plunge saw. I don't have anything producing large chippings, so it's only for dust collection.

What is the benefit of spending extra on something like the Numatic NV750 (currently up to £220)

vs the cheaper Earlex Powervac WD1200P at £95?

The Earlex automatically switches on with your tool, don't know about the Numatic (but I'd hope so).

If there's anything else I should consider instead, any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

The Earlex doesn't mention filtration?
I believe you want to be looking at a 0.5 micron filtration for fine dust or it'll just be blown back into the workshop.

Jensmith":3eg1h7hs said:
I believe you want to be looking at a 0.5 micron filtration for fine dust or it'll just be blown back into the workshop.

I've not encountered such problem with it attached to my ROS etc

That's because you can't see stuff that fine.

I'd go for a Cambac myself, I've got a 55L twin motor one and it's the bees knees

I've got a Fein QA35 which, I believe, has now been phased out. The equivalents are the Dustex 25 and 40 (glad you like the Fein Paul). The Fein stays in the 'shop.

I also have a Nifilsk Alto 25 which was £130 from Screwfix. Quite a good extractor (not quite as good as the Fein, but not far behind).

Cheers

Karl

Thanks all for the replies
Jensmith":w5i3rem8 said:
Yes, 0.5 micron would be good. Anyone know if the Earlex is? (I will search on it)
EDIT - No mention of it on the Earlex website, so perhaps not.

PeterSk":w5i3rem8 said:
I'd go for a Cambac myself, I've got a 55L twin motor one and it's the bees knees
Have you got a link? I've done a search and not found it.
EDIT - ah, seeing your link below, you meant "CamVac" :)

johnf":w5i3rem8 said:
I used to have a earlex bought from screwfix took it back and got a refund I NOW USE ONE OF THESE (fein-dustex) no comparison
What exactly is better about it? I have no idea what's good and bad about any of these models, as I've never used any of them. I know I'd like auto start, and I don't want it to be too loud, but I don't know what you get when doubling the budget from £95 to £200 ish.

Deejay":36bu52m2 said:
Morning Triggaar

Have you thought about fitting something outside the shed? Particles which come through the filter will then be less of a problem.
That sounds like an excellent solution for many, but I don't think I've got the room for it outside the shed (I mean workshop) and it could also be a problem creating noise for the neighbours. For the amount of work I do, inside the workshop, without ducting should be fine.

So there's the
Earlex - may not have fine enough filtration
Numatic NV750 - £220
Camvac 36 litre twin - £219 (inc post, no accesories, 55L another £30)
Fein Dustex 40 - £240 (£190 for 24litre version, but 40L is a better comparison with the other two models)

Is there anything to choose between these models? If I had to choose now I might as well ask my 3 year old to choose, I have no idea of the pros cons. I assume that I need to use bags whichever I go for, so I'll look for which bags are cheapest.

I have had use of the earlier fein extractor, and it is indeed much better quality than the earlex, but I was limited on budget. You can run the fein bagless. If you can afford it I would choose the fein.

Thanks again for the advice.
Shane":e4oyy1c6 said:
You can run the fein bagless.
Is there a disadvantage to running it bagless (apart from how you empty it)? Otherwise, what's the point in spending money on bags?

Triggaaar":2le4z0zi said:
Is there a disadvantage to running it bagless (apart from how you empty it)?

No - and you'll save yourself a lot of money not having to buy paper bags.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thanks
Paul Chapman":ezv733f2 said:
you'll save yourself a lot of money not having to buy paper bags.
No kidding. If you're running a shop for money then time is worth more than the bags, but for little old me, bagless would be good.
Is that equally an option with the Numatic NV750 & Camvac? I only need a dry vac, and the Fein is Wet & Dry - I'd assume that's something you pay for, so do the others have any advantages over the Fein?

I suppose it depends on how you empty it, if it were mine I would wear a mask and remove the dust with my larger chip extractor, with a bag a lot more of the dust is contained

The Fein has twin filters a cloth pre filter and a cartridge one the cartridge seldom gets any dust to it so it maintains a high suction rate three year guarantee

If I needed another one I would buy another fein like a shot

Thanks.

So the Fein is at the top of my list. If I'm not using bags (where there would be a saving by going with the larger size) is there any advantage in spending more on the larger Fein?

Has anyone compared the fein to either the Numatic NV750 or Camvac, and can the latter two be used as well as the Fein without bags?

Back