Which Design Book?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Random Orbital Bob":2uxqnndg said:
I just don't want to work that hard Jacob. I want someone with a lot more design brain than I have to have done all the looking at nature and figuring out what looks nice, stuck it in a book, written about it and then created a scaled drawing so I can set my callipers at the lathe.

Bob

I know I am 5 pages too late but here is an idea. I regret that it will take you 5-10 mins to set up but nothing in life comes easy.

Use Google images to find the 'classic shapes' and import them into Powerpoint (or Open Office - free) on to a previously drawn background grid. Manipulate image, fatter, taller as required. Break out callipers and turn on the lathe.

Bill

Attachments

• grid template.jpg
    grid template.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 441
YewTube":gm4zi7rs said:
Random Orbital Bob":gm4zi7rs said:
I just don't want to work that hard Jacob. I want someone with a lot more design brain than I have to have done all the looking at nature and figuring out what looks nice, stuck it in a book, written about it and then created a scaled drawing so I can set my callipers at the lathe.

Bob

I know I am 5 pages too late but here is an idea. I regret that it will take you 5-10 mins to set up but nothing in life comes easy.

Use Google images to find the 'classic shapes' and import them into Powerpoint (or Open Office - free) on to a previously drawn background grid. Manipulate image, fatter, taller as required. Break out callipers and turn on the lathe.

Bill

Nice one Bill
I hadn't thought of that. A nice little cheat to avoid buying expensive drawing software. Cheers fellah.

Random Orbital Bob":1u5vgd8s said:
A nice little cheat to avoid buying expensive drawing software.
IMHO the best FREE drawing package is Google SketchUp.

It's 3D rather than 2D so needs some degree of expertise but once mastered it can give you a very good idea of the shape of your finished work - from all directions! You can also print a 2D image of course and if you set the view on screen to a 'front view' the result can easily be used as an aide-mémoire or 'technical' drawing in the workshop.

Images can also be imported and scaled in the same way that you might try in PowerPoint.

Much better than using the awful software sold by Micky$oft (PP is OK for it's original purpose - ie. not great but OK)

JG

Random Orbital Bob":1o2ec91l said:
Nice one Bill
I hadn't thought of that. A nice little cheat to avoid buying expensive drawing software. Cheers fellah.

Inkscape does smooth (bezier, same as Illustrator and Freehand, Corel etc) curves, and is free!

BugBear (Inkscape user)

Making 3d curved shapes with multiple curves such as a bowl or vase is very difficult on sketch up

Woodmonkey":2695fazq said:
Making 3d curved shapes with multiple curves such as a bowl or vase is very difficult on sketch up
The only issue I've ever had was because I tend to work at actual size and on very small components. This sometimes means that the 'Follow Me' tool cannot render the top of a curve resulting in a hole or missing band. This is ultimately corrected when I re-work the curve at 10:1 scale. Once the render is OK it is still OK when scaled down to actual size.

The Bezier plugin can certainly help with fluid curves but I worked for years before I knew that was available.

JG

Back