Which combination/plough Plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hehehe. Nope, just into the piggy bank. It did need some work on the skate, but following some excellent tuning tips from BB quite a while back, it works a treat. HighwayMen, Cutthroats & Extortionists even charged the properly reduced rate when it arrived.

My only remaining affliction is an unhealthy regard for DT saws, but even that hasn't been fed for quite some time (the last a Teutonic plum)

I've had a bunch of combo planes and plow planes and my favorite is the Stanley #45. Alf has convinced me the #405 is superior but I've never seen one in the wild. :) Plowing grooves is a pretty easy task and many planes can do it well. A #50 is good, the #043 is really good for small work, etc. but the #45 is the one I grab first. It can do a more widths than most, and does a decent job on dados and tongue and groove joints.

AndyT":3fa0odnf said:
If you have blades whose side notches are in the wrong place or don't fit it's easy enough to saw and file new notches or adjust to cope with the difference between the 45/405 skinny pin and the 050 spokeshave style threaded adjuster with a wide ring. I have some orphaned blades from an 044 which now have grooves in the back and notches in the sides and will fit wherever I put them.
Well yeah, but honestly, depth adjusters are so over-rated is it worth the trouble? Presumably, but not for me.

Okay, so am I the only one wondering why no-one's suggested a dedicated 6mm wooden plow - obviously I can't owing to my firmly held belief that metal ploughs and combination planes are The Best Thing Ever and Every Home Should Have One (Or Three). Dunno if an adjustable fence is required or not, but that's not too difficult. Niche market for Philly perhaps? C'mon chaps, another tool requirement opportunity here going begging. Tsk, this forum isn't what it was... :wink:

Hi, I am new, well new to ukworkshop, although I'm not really that new and have been lurking for sometime :wink: . See I am already making use of the wee face facility :D .

I recently bought a record 050 which is a copy of the stanley 50 if I understand correctly. I am quite impressed with it, seems to do a good job providing you take your time. The only problem is the blades are a bit crumbly maybe grinding them to a steeper angle would help :?: Currently 25 degrees.

Ahh help can't make faces :!: :cry: the disable smilies option remains un-ticked, what am I doing wrong?

Richard T wrote:
There are a few differences the main one being the notches in the cutters are in different places. I mean the notches that the lip of the threaded wheel adjuster fits into.
The record has its cutters notched in the side and the stanley across the back face.

Alf wrote:
T'other way about, Richard.

T'aint .... at least half t'aint .... It's far more stupid than that. What I did there was assume I had a Stanley. (homer)

Just checked; what I actually have is a Record 50c which has the slot -in -the -side cutters and a RECORD 044 which has the straight across slots. So there we are, Record incompatible with Record. The 044 had been moth - balled as I prefer the 50c.

Fat ferret":14p3thtl said:
Ahh help can't make faces :!: :cry: the disable smilies option remains un-ticked, what am I doing wrong?
They're coming through okay on my PC.

Fat ferret":14p3thtl said:
I recently bought a record 050... The only problem is the blades are a bit crumbly maybe grinding them to a steeper angle would help :?: Currently 25 degrees.
Alf sez 35° single bevel - i.e no secondary or micro-bevel (though I think that's for curved cutters).

Cheers, Vann.

Whats the difference betwen a 50 and a 50s, "Nigel" has a 50s for £20 he's offered to me. Just not sure what the difference is! aha
Cheers

dissolve":1ei209g9 said:
Whats the difference betwen a 50 and a 50s, "Nigel" has a 50s for £20 he's offered to me. Just not sure what the difference is! aha
Cheers

This page: http://www.oldtools.co.uk/tools/planes_scrapers/plough.planes/plough.planes.pg1.php seems to show that the 50s was a cheaper option which left out some of the cutters - 8 instead of 17 - meaning that as sold, it was only a plough, and to make it a combination plane you would need to buy beading cutters separately.

dissolve":k6cb7bsj said:
Cheers
I believe I answered that one right at the start of the thread... Mate, are you actually reading any of the answers at all? Because the pretty consistent message is that any of the plough or combi planes will do the job you want so it doesn't matter what you get.

Latest posts

Back