Which Coffee Machine?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vormulac":19t2rupw said:
I think next time I'll go German, probably a Krups.

I had a Krups coffee machine, not B2C but an espresso and I bought it because I have a Krups blender which is excellent.

I was very disappointed with the Krups coffee machine though, and eBayed it.

I now have a Kitchen Aid one. It's good, but as it's not used every day, the frother sometimes takes a bit of persuading to get going properly.

I think coffee machines are a slope akin to woodworking.

Cheers
Steve

I have this one, the Miele cva-620 (which you have had a coffee out of when you came round Brad, although there was too much milk for you if I remember correctly :wink: ).

Cost about £1250 brand new and is a built in, but you could save money on the cabinet my knocking it up yourself :D

The modern equivalent (mine is no longer a current model) can be got one ebay, used, for £990 now.

Might take you a while to realise the cost savings though... ;)

I got a Krupps coffee machine to make Lattes. It never had enough steam to do the job despite the authentic sounding whooshes. It is sat in the outhouse waiting to be freecycled.

No I just make it in a cafitiere. Fill a mug 1/3 full of milk; microwave for 30 seconds; use one of those battery powered wizzy frothy things and then add sugar and coffee. Pretty much indistinguishable from starbucks.

Brittleheart":f5phblp4 said:
What's wrong with a little Krups grinder, a cafetiere and a kettle?

A got fed up with all the different processes involved with making myself a latte, the automatic machine does it all for me quicker, easier and with less mess. And you can't really do espresso in a cafetiere. :)

My filter machine is a Krups though, had it a good 10-11 years and it's still working perfectly :)

How about a different solution, a hot plate and an Italian Moka Pot.
Admittedly in the kitchen at home, I used to have a Cafetiere, then several plug in makers, but ended up with fool proof coffee every time with a Moka Pot.
I've thought about one of the little pod type machines, but they are EXPENSIVE. Even if you use the most expensive 250g packet of Espresso coffee on the market it's cheaper than pods and actually tastes of something.

Colin

Hasn’t the trend turned to the coffee pods are bad for the environment way of thinking?

I have a De Longi that grinds the beans.
I thought they were always bad? 😆
They may be a step up from instant coffee but only a small one. We had a Gaggia Espresso machine which we rather stupidly gave away when we moved house. It made really good coffee. I’m thinking of getting a replacement.

I'm the only person in our house that drinks non instant coffee. I have a Nespresso pod machine but for the past couple of years I've been using an Aeropress. About the simplest way I have found, easy to clean and makes good tasting coffee

I lived with a hario dripper and a hand grinder for a few years.. it makes good black coffee.
Okay if it's just you who drinks coffee, but hand grinding for more than one person is too slow.. .

I finally gave in and bought a second-hand beans to cup machine.. I now drink 5x more coffee...

I thought they were always bad? 😆
They may be a step up from instant coffee but only a small one. We had a Gaggia Espresso machine which we rather stupidly gave away when we moved house. It made really good coffee. I’m thinking of getting a replacement.
They were the Italian First machines going back to the 50's Gaggia I'm informed invented them.

I bought a Lidl espresso machine many years ago and have been using it happily several times a day every day. I used to use my mother's old spong hand grinder but my daughter bought me a fancy electric grinder (which cost more than twice as much as the espresso machine) and that does speed up the process. It is quicker to make an espresso (and clean up) than to make a properly brewed cup of tea!

Hasn’t the trend turned to the coffee pods are bad for the environment way of thinking?

There are little stainless steel pods which you can just refill, I know they do them for Nesspresso ones and the Bosch ones, these are a better bet for the environmentally friendly.
I found a perfect single cup coffee machine for my workshop made by Cuisinart, except it is only available in America, very annoying.
So I am considering a a Nesspresso with a stainless insert. This should stop me spending too much in Greggs like I do now.

Ollie

O
There are little stainless steel pods which you can just refill, I know they do them for Nesspresso ones and the Bosch ones, these are a better bet for the environmentally friendly.
I found a perfect single cup coffee machine for my workshop made by Cuisinart, except it is only available in America, very annoying.
So I am considering a a Nesspresso with a stainless insert. This should stop me spending too much in Greggs like I do now.

Ollie
you will miss the sausage rolls…

I use Nespresso and my pods get recycled. The pods are made of aluminium and they collect the used ones from me when they deliver new ones. It’s only aluminium and compostable coffee grinds so I don’t see how they would be bad for the environment.

Latest posts

Back