Which carpentry joinery and woodwork courses???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtonhouse

Reaction score
Hi

Anyone any idea of which are good carpentry courses to learn dovetail jointing and other advanced techniques/experience for neanderthals that allredy posess some practical experience

I had thought about the chippendale furniture school type of courses (at chippendale dot co dot uk) but the costs are a bit steep??

The basic requirements are manufacturing bespoke kitchen and lounge cabinets, hand made doors with various joints i.e gunstock joints dowelled joints etc stair/newel post turnings etc

CAN ANYONE HELP with simialr alternatives please

Hi Newton - I did NVQ 1,2,3 in carpentry (site), then 1,2,3 in joinery. This covered most of what you require. But took 4 years. The chippendale course looks great, but have you seen the prices? :shock:

Me? I stand in the WS in all weather (particularly cold) and practise. Practise, practise, practise. And I am still a relative beginner. I can knock up a decent stud wall though!!! :lol: :lol:

Charlesworth springs to mind.

HTH

Neil

Welcome to the forum, newtonhouse. :)

If you give us a rough idea of where you are in the country, I'm sure others will be happy to help. :wink:

I'm currently in the second-year of a "full-time" (two-days a week) Cabinet Making course and it ain't cheap!! :S To enrol on the course cost over £1,600 and then you've got to buy your own timber for your main project (in my case, that was almost an extra £300 - although, it didn't need to be nearly that much!! :oops: :wink:). Without a doubt, it's been worth it and I'm already looking forward to the third year.

Cheapest way to do it would probably be to enrol on an evening course, if you can find one near you... I think Ironballs does one?

There is the fine woodworking course at the building crafts college in stratford east london. I did it and it covered everything you are after, It is full time for two years and costs 5 grand. there are bursarys available for certain groups and they do help with getting funding. It is owned by the carpenters company and is in a swish new building on the carpenters estate!
heres their website

http://www.thebcc.ac.uk/

newtonhouse":nv4y0yat said:
Hi

Anyone any idea of which are good carpentry courses to learn dovetail jointing and other advanced techniques/experience for neanderthals that allredy posess some practical experience

I had thought about the chippendale furniture school type of courses (at chippendale dot co dot uk) but the costs are a bit steep??

The basic requirements are manufacturing bespoke kitchen and lounge cabinets, hand made doors with various joints i.e gunstock joints dowelled joints etc stair/newel post turnings etc

CAN ANYONE HELP with simialr alternatives please

Our very own Woodbloke offers 1 on 1 tuition on things like dovetail jointing over a weekend at what look like very reasonable rates. I am sure you would learn more in a couple of days like that than in weeks in a bigger class. Try PMing him.

The second half of your question puzzles me. 'Manufacturing bespoke cabinets' sounds as if you intend doing it professionally. So why would you want to make doors by hand? No professional has done that for 50 years or more!

I'd invest in a few 'New Yankee Workshop' DVDs.

That's the way to do it!

Cheers
Dan

I teach HND (level 4) cabinet making at college if it helps. Much cheaper then the courses run by makers and there is the possibility of grants and bursaries as well.

Back