Retraining and potential apprenticeship at 30?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tacopowell

Reaction score
I left school at 16, spending the following two years gaining NVQ's in Cabinet making,
At the time I was more interested in getting wasted and staring at girls,
I got my qualifications but never pursued a career in the area, Instead deciding that working at ToysRus would be more beneficial (Don't),
Ever since I've worked in different jobs, all non skilled, Photo lab, Printers and currently as a learning disability support worker,
The latter I've been doing for around 4 years now and in that time I've seen massive changes in the care system,
Changes based on budgets been slashed in almost all aspects of the job, Meaning it's very hard to do my job in supporting people to fulfill their lives, there is also little to no prospects in this job.

I'm 31 next month and I'm now fully aware that a misspent youth has had it's toll on me but I'm extremely keen to make big changes in my life so that I can provide for potential family (12 months of trying).

I have the natural ability to build things, Particularly using wood and although I've lost almost all the knowledge and techniques I learnt at college,
I know I can still learn and still build things, Current project been a Dog shed using reclaimed pallet wood which is looking pretty good.

A quick scan for local courses gives me a few choices, all located at the same college;
*Basic Carpentry and Joinery Skills
*Bench Joinery (Level 2)
*Apprenticeship in Bench Joinery (Level 2)

My question for anyone who works in the industry or anyone who has experience in been an apprentice as an adult is;

Will my age work against me in finding a position/job or will my maturity, desire and commitment help in convincing potential employers I'm the man for the job?

Another question I should ask, Is there even much work available?
All well and good wanting an apprenticeship but if the industry is struggling than I've got my work cut out for me!

I'm aware that many companies struggle to take on older folk due to the financial benefits of paying a 16 year old £3 an hour but surely it would pay to take someone on whom has maybe more long term potential?

I've a day off on Wednesday and will pop into a couple of local cabinet makers/ kitchen fitters/ Joiners, simply to ask advice on my position, I'm also going to check out the College mentioned.

Any advice her would be very welcome. :D

Where are you based? I work in a completely different sector and I am responsible for hiring staff in my team. I have interviewed lots of people over the years and those that always do well are those with passion and enthusiasm. Skills can be trained personality cannot. It sounds like you've realised that all that stuff about knuckling down at school was true but you're thinking you've missed the boat. Well I doubt you have. I think most people in the sort of industry you are talking about are interested in find good hard workers and it's sounds like you are keen to get the chance to prove yourself. I ask where you are based as I do deal with the two directors of a shop fitting firm and they are often recruiting. They do furniture (shop units) for Dunelmill and various others.

Tacopowell":rto1ninp said:
My question for anyone who works in the industry or anyone who has experience in been an apprentice as an adult is;

Will my age work against me in finding a position/job or will my maturity, desire and commitment help in convincing potential employers I'm the man for the job?

Yes it will, no grants, more family commitments, more bills to pay etc

Another question I should ask, Is there even much work available?
All well and good wanting an apprenticeship but if the industry is struggling than I've got my work cut out for me!

The industry is picking up nicely

I'm aware that many companies struggle to take on older folk due to the financial benefits of paying a 16 year old £3 an hour but surely it would pay to take someone on whom has maybe more long term potential?

that's a sweeping statement, why can't a 16 YO have long term potential, all my apprentices have been fantastic and most still work for me. Plus if they are any good I pay them a decent wage

I've a day off on Wednesday and will pop into a couple of local cabinet makers/ kitchen fitters/ Joiners, simply to ask advice on my position, I'm also going to check out the College mentioned.

I'd call in advance.

Any advice her would be very welcome. :D

I know I sound down beat but just being honest, but just keep going. I have no formal qualifications and started in this industry aged 30. I started in a furniture factory, very repetitive work, I then bullshitted employers and was a senior maker at a cabinet making business within 3 years. I believe you need a bit of talent to progress, I can tell whether people have potential after just a few weeks.

A good way into the joinery industry is as a labourer in a small/medium company. You're earning your money from the start without any instruction and they don't have the hassles/commitment of an apprenticeship. If you're as competent and reliable as you say you are then you'll be helping with assembly and machining in no time.

1st year carpentry/joinery is important but very basic, you can learn that out of a book and practice it at home. I would advise you to do a course on woodworking machinery, that is what nearly every company has in common whatever they are making. Someone who can dimension boards, square up stock and use a spindle safely is far more useful than a 16 year old who can cut a half lap. Whatever romantic images people have in their heads, money is made on the machines.

I started my apprenticeship when I was 20 and my *maturity was a big advantage.

* In relation to 16 year old's :)

Latest posts

Back