which bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob D

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a new bandsaw and am thinking of either a sabre 450 or startrite 403, I am struggling to find any reviews on either of these machines and was hoping people might be able to enlighten me on either or both machines.

Cheers Rob

The new Sabre 450 is recent enough that I don't think anyone has one, or had one long enough to form a subjective opinion, but and I know I will be criticised for this, the Sabre uses correct engineering for the blade guides compared with most of the older Bandsaw.

Hi Rob,

Did you pick one of these, if so how are you finding it?

I’m looking at the same two bandsaws from what I’ve read they look similar with slightly more capacity in the sabre and slightly different guide bearings in the start rite?

Table/fence adjustment etc look to use the same mechanism and they are similar price so I’m struggling to separate the two, I’ll use it for general workshop and for resawing logs to timber

Just an observation, when re-sawing its normal to have a very wide blade, this requires a deep guide and bearings, preferably a double bearing, just something to keep in mind.

Mike

Having examined many bandsaws at Harrogate and brought the hammern4400 I reckon the sabre isn't "All that" . Some Parts were good but much looked below par. The big axminster saw was extremely overbuilt and the other axminster saws looked a bit better.

MikeJhn":1afsrtwv said:
Just an observation, when re-sawing its normal to have a very wide blade, this requires a deep guide and bearings, preferably a double bearing, just something to keep in mind.

Mike
Not in my experience. I use a 12mm wide (possibly a little wider) Ax DG blade on my big bs which will cheerfully produce 2 or 3mm thick veneers. The deepest I've cut so far is 250mm but the machine has a much greater DOC which I haven't so far used - Rob

12mm is not a wide blade. (hammer)

Well of course you would find something different, you have on most of my posts, ever since I pointed out that your bandsaw modifications on the Axminster web site where a nonsense, cutting a hole in the saw to clear a bearing instead of spacing it upwards. :roll:

I keep a 12mm blade on most of the time. I have also found them perfectly good for resawing with and handy when you have some curves to cut as well. One of the problems with deep blades in general, is they tend to be thicker as well so not only are you cutting deep section but also a wide cut so hard going. If the tracking is good and the blades aren't snapping I can't see the advantage of a deeper blade even though I know is conventional wisdom for resawing.

MikeJhn":21vg23xy said:
12mm is not a wide blade. (hammer)

Well of course you would find something different, you have on most of my posts, ever since I pointed out that your bandsaw modifications on the Axminster web site where a nonsense, cutting a hole in the saw to clear a bearing instead of spacing it upwards. :roll:
Exactly; 12mm is a narrowish blade but if the saw is set up correctly, in my experience, you don't really need a wide blade for deep cutting.
Regarding my mod to my other bandsaw...there's always more than one way to skin the proverbial pussy cat cat :lol: Moving the lower blade guide assembly up would, in hindsight (a most wondrous thing) have been easier, but the job's done now and the end result is the same - Rob

Back