Which air nailer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody Alan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi My missus ..bless her...says I can have a nailer. Now I have built a couple of clad buildings and avoided having one and used "mark one right arm" and "London screwdriver" but I have to admit I did get a bit of tennis elbow. Anyway I've always avoided them as an amateur I am not sure it would get enough use and take up a lot of space. I am now refitting my house and intend to re skirt architrave etc with oak. Which nailer is most suitable? if indeed one is at all. Can you use different gauges as well as different sizes i.e. if I buy a bigger one can I use small brads too? What is the best size compressor to get to give me extra flexibility for other air uses spraying etc or should I be looking at electric nailers. All this with a keen eye to budget but I don't want to buy cheap rubbish that gives me grief, like the emergency pipe cutter from B&Q when I couldn't find mine. It cut in spirals :) useful for copper springs not much use otherwise.

Cheers Alan

Have a look at the Senco range. We use there brad and nail guns at work, you can normally change length but as far as I know not guage.

Alan

Although I have a DeWalt framing nailer (very large - fires 90mm nails into hard oak), a smaller Clark nailer that fires smaller nails and a wee Axminster that fires headless brads. The latter two work well with the compressor in the workshop. The DeWalt is a real pain in the proverbial dragging that hose all over the place.

If it's a large nailer you're after, then go portable, is my advice.

Woody Alan":1hdnm5j8 said:
I am now refitting my house and intend to re skirt architrave etc with oak. Which nailer is most suitable? if indeed one is at all. Can you use different gauges as well as different sizes i.e. if I buy a bigger one can I use small brads too? What is the best size compressor to get to give me extra flexibility for other air uses spraying etc or should I be looking at electric nailers.
For architraves and skirtings an 18 gauge nailer capable of pushing a 50mm brad is probably the best 15 or 16 gauge are too big (they're really for stud walling and the like) and 22/23 gauge (headless) are really only suitable for attaching small beadings (and in any case aren't long enough for skirtings). Avoid nailer/stapler combinations as many of them have a tendency to leave a really big mark.

Compressed air is more powerful and better than electric, the Passlode portables are OK, but they cost a lot to buy and require cells which need to be in date so they'll work, so they're hardly cheap to run. They also need to be kept scrupulously clean as dirt getting into them really gives them the hump. There are also occasions when they are too darned big to get them into position, so I'm afraid I'm not a fan of their size, purchase price or running costs. They work well in building site environments where you may not have mains electric but I don't see them having much of a place for infrequent users

Roger's DW full head nailer is as (physically) big as you normally go with an air nailer (I know because I have one of those as well) and the air lines can sometimes be a nuisance - so if you go the compressor route throw away the curly-whirly air hose they supply and buy a good quality re-inforced rubber one with decent quality (CEJN, Schrader, etc) fittings. Also fit a 6in "pigtail" onto the air tool as this will protect the back of the tool from getting cracked by the constant jarring as the tool is connected and disconnected from the air supply. As to size, though, an 18g brad pinner is very small, light and handleable - even on an airline although a portable compressor with a small reservoir is a boon for using them

Size? You don't need much to drive a nailer or pinner. Air ratchets, air screwdrivers, sanders, etc. take a lot more compressed air. So work out the air consumption of the biggest tool you want to run (say an air ratchet of 5 cfm @ 90psi), work out the size of the receiver and therefore how long the machine can run before the compressor motor needs to kick in (say 25 litres @ 120psi which is the equivalent of 1.2 cubic feet at 90 psi - based on 1 cubic foot = 28.3 litres) and then realise that your little 25 litre tank will run the ratchet for just 1.2 / 5 minutes or 15 seconds before the motor needs to kick in. Now look at the compressor itself and take the FAD (free air delivered) figure which is often 25% or more below the swept capacity of the compressor and you'll get an idea of what is needed. In reality most tools like screwdrivers, air ratchets and spray guns consume 5 to 10 cfm of air and require at least a 50 litre tank and 7 cfm FAD to work anywhere near efficiently. Unfortunately a 50 litre compressor is really at the upper limit of what I'd regard as portable (in fact I run my bradder on a small B&Q compressor not unlike the Machine Mart Bandit)

Scrit

Like Scrit I also have a small B&Q compressor for brads and pins.
Don't use large nails much but do use a pinner for mouldings a lot, so bought two Axminster guns, one for pins(12mm 15mm) and one for nails( up to 2 inch).
Both have worked well for several years

Dom

As part of my workshop build I bought a compressor with free 18g 50mm nailer from Aldi. I also purchased a SIP coil nailer which holds a coil of 400 nails from 25mm to 50mm. Both have performed very well with the SIP delivering over 6000 nails with only a few "duds"

Well I have a B&Q brad nailer which fires up to 50mm 18g brads, De Walt battery nailer which fires up to 63mm 16g nails and a cheapo Rockworth framing nailer which fires up to 90mm 15g nails and they all work fine and have had a lot of use over the last couple of years. Keep the air fed ones oiled regularly and they work fine for me. :wink:

"mark one right arm" and "London screwdriver"

Bloody cheek you saying we are all rough down here then :shock: .

I bought a Stanley Bostitch compressor with an 18g brad nailer a few years ago and its been very good I have an ace&k stapler and a heavy duty t nailer too and they are good quality too.

Bloody cheek you saying we are all rough down here then
:) I thought that might reel some in.. no offence, just an expression my dad told me years ago, I daresay Londoners have a similar expression for us "carrot crunchers"
Thanks to all for all the replies so far, Scrit as ever extremely thorough, gives me a fair bit to consider and mull over, but starting with the 18 gauge 50mm for the second fix sounds like a good bet.

Alan

I think it is more commonly known as a Birmingham screwdriver, at least in London/South-east!

As for Norfolkians, well, those inbred webbed feet are no secret.

As for Norfolkians, well, those inbred webbed feet are no secret.
Ahhh You've met one of my cousins then :) I hope you treated her well. You'll be sure to have a warm welcome if you come up this way boy, but don't stray from the path onto the marshes.

Alan

Talking of 18gauge second fix nailers...what sort of nails are we talking here?

Ones with round heads on ...of reasonable size...or those that look morelike panel pins? I have the latter which is Clarke and came with the Bandit as a kit.

I'd much prefer something that I can use with round headed nails...guess the answer may be the DeWalt but it's such a big boy something smaller would be better.

Can't remember where i saw it off-hand but i definitely read about some guy who used an 18 gauge nailer with a foot-pump!!

Apparently it took a few pumps to get the initial pressure up and then just a single pump after each nail went in.

Never tried it myself but the theory sounds good - so long as you've not got hundreds of nails to put in!!

Forgot to add - hi to everyone!!! been a long-time reader here sucking up all the excellent knowledge floating around on this site... :D

Hi sledgehammer

welcome to the forum, I have been plumbing this last three weeks upgrading my downstairs half of the system digging up floors piping etc. As a result I needed to dry pressure test the new install, so I made a pressure tester out of some bits of pipe a schrader valve and a gauge I had floating about thinking I would pump the system up with my floor standing bike pump. After several minutes and red face and near seizure I dragged my small compressor out of the shed. So I can't see me trying that one every time I want to put a nail in :)

Cheers Alan

There seem to be lots of air nailers for sale on Ebay, in the range of £20 - £40 for 18g - 15g. Anyone got any thoughts on these for an occasional user like me, as in "ok for occasional use" or "total rubbish avoid them like the plague". My current Cosmo 18g nailer/stapler is ok but, as Scrit pointed out, it leaves a substantial mark on the surface when driving a brad. It is priced at the cheaper end of the scale as it cost about £25...are other cheap nailers likely to be similar, as in all made in the same factory in China and badged to suit the retailer?

i can thoroughly recommend ace&k machines, i have 3, a straight one, an angled one and a stapler.

pretty able to undertake hard work, quite simple to keep clean and working, pretty good back up too. but almost all these guns only work with one gauge of nails. can you imagine the problems trying to make one which adjusts to the different thicknesses. :?

i also have an SIP oilless compressor with air gauge and vapour separator to ensure that you do not get water in the air line. for many of the popular guns you need 8 bar to keep them working safely and easily.

i have never tried the coiled air pipes, but after using a coiled hosepipe in the garden :? am not sure they are worth the bother. i would think about a device for winding the pipes around to keep them tidy, mine takes up a lot of room.

i did use it for installing a lot of skirting, but only as a support whilst the grip fil dried :? :oops: worked pretty well though if you angle the nails into the masonery or bricks.

definately the way to save the elbows and shoulders :roll:

paul :wink:

i have the dewalt dc618 cordless nailer which i find excellent it fires 50-63mm nails so is ideal for beads, backmould and skirting (just holds it while the liquid nails sets). plus you dont have to push really hard to get the nails under the wood.

Latest posts

Back