Where to start

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HLA91

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone

Basically I am looking for some advice as I want to do something more hands on than my current path which is computing. Probably not as a full time profession but more as a side hobby/handyman, I am interested in carpentry and working with wood and small scale construction but I don't really know where to start.
I am based in North Wales, I have looked at courses locally but there is only 1 Diploma in Carpentry and Joinery but that is a year long and my Computing course starts in 6 months (April/May). I would like to do something just to confirm my interest in the subject, I have ordered the Collins woodworking book and The Weekend Carpenter. Is it worth paying for courses or just choose a small project from the internet or the afore mentioned books and trying that out first?

Many thanks

HLA91

There are lots of books of projects. The FWW store and Stobart Davies have dozens. Why not start with a couple of simple projects? You can then move on to more ambitious stuff when the books are no longer challenging. You will soon learn what you like and what you don't like and you can do it all at your own pace.
S

Thanks people, I missed that Paul Sellers when I googled but his foundation courses look nice and reasonable. I think I will look at a project and then if I get hooked then I might look at the Paul Sellers courses. Nice forum I have already picked a few things up.

Back