Where to now ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lardman

Established Member
Reaction score
I think ive reached the limit of my current tools and my ability to use them. Im not sure of the best way to proceed.

My next project needs to be a chest of drawers, it will have to be pine as thats all I can run to. Im pretty happy jointing the panels with biscuits but the drawers have me worried. I don't have a dovetail jig, router table or dowel jig and my cheap and cheerful screwfix chisels just won't hold an edge well enough to cut decent DT by hand.

I was thinking either a cheap DT jig or building a bench top router table and using a drawer lock bit. Or even use the same cash to get a better set of hand tools and try that way. Although I made an awful mess of the drawer in the bedside table and ended up screwing things together :oops:

My advice would be to get a decent set of chisels, ,they don't have to be really expensive, you could just buy a couple and build up ther set as you can afford them.

I wouldn't go down the road of a cheap dovetail jig, even the expensive ones take a lot of skill to use. Instead concentrate on hand cut dovetails. Rob Cosman does a very good DVD on these, you could be doing them in no time. If you are strapped for cash I would be willing to loan you the DVD.

Regarding all other hand tools, buy the best that you can afford, as they say the most expensive tool you can buy is the cheapest.

A bit heretical of me to say so, but you don't actually need to use dovetails at all to build stuff (inc drawers) I built my daughter a big chest of drawers from laminated pine boards (four drawers) entirely biscuited together...took around a weekend to make. No pic though :oops: - Rob

While my inclination is to say "chisels" and a long-term aim for high quality cabinetry with beautifully hand cut joinery, I get the impression you're very much in the zone of needing the end result and that's why you're doing it? In which case, tailed tools for the time being - unless you like your learning curves steep and intensive. In a roundabout way I agree with aspects of what both Waka and Rob say though; dovetails are not actually essential, and if you want them for the look then a cheap jig won't give you anything but a cheap jig dovetail look. Better not have them at all, in my opinion. So forget them and go the whole hog with the drawer lock cutter or biscuits or whathaveyou. You'll find a router table jolly useful anyway, so definitely build one of those, whichever way you go.

And now I'll go, picking my way over the bodies of onlookers who've fainted dead away at reading me advocating the tailed over the hand tool. :wink:

Apparently its not acceptable to leave clothes on the large low shelf that fills the room - you know the one I mean :wink: So Im at the sharp end of getting something done or having to visit the Swedish Flatpack place.

I'll cross the cheap DT jig off the list then as they seem to more trouble than their worth. Id be worried about just joining the fronts with biscuits its likely to have a harsh life and Id need it to last a couple of years at least.

Thats narrowed it down to hand tools or the router table then, best cost them both out really. The fact I don't have a permanent WS at the moment doesn't help matters either.

Lardman":3nkzwz9b said:
Id be worried about just joining the fronts with biscuits its likely to have a harsh life and Id need it to last a couple of years at least.

I'd go with biscuits. You could join the sides to the edges of the front pieces and then fit false fronts. That would make it stronger than just biscuiting the fronts to the sides.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hi - you could go rebate on the front and dowels in through the sides. That way you only have to cut the rebate accurately which you could do with your router table and a straight bit not needing to buy a special locking rebate router bit

there was an article in FWW called drawers without dovetails - don't know if its on line anywhere - they look pretty good

you could use through dovetails at the back which will give you a chance to practice where it won't be seen too much or slide the back into a rebate

just a thought - but whatever you do - do a practice drawer first!!

Waka":kj79jvun said:
I wouldn't go down the road of a cheap dovetail jig, even the expensive ones take a lot of skill to use.

What do you consider a cheap dovetail jig?

What about expensive ones?

Unless you are a better man than me you won't get decent dovertails with softwood anyway. In my limited experience softwood is a pig to work with.

Here's a suggestion: find a junk shop (or the tip or a skip) buy a a manky set set of Drawers or two. You should get decent oak drawer sides at a fraction of the cost of new softwood. the benefit is they are part finished already.

You could then use the carcase as a router table frame.

As for good chisels 3 or 4 top grade chiels via evil bay will cost you about the same as those paint can openers you already own.

I was surprised nobody had mentioned dowels I would have thought they'd have been better than biscuits.

I've found some old chisels I inherited - covered in putty and paint that I've spent the day cleaning up. I'll try again with hand cut DTs tomorrow.

In my limited experience softwood is a pig to work with.

It smells nice though :lol:

You can make drawers with Biscuits too.

Just make sure they are positioned in the ends of the front, so that they resist the pull when you use the drawer. You would probably need false drawer fronts to use this method, but if it's good enough for Frank Klausz, then you can be sure it works.

It is featured in 'Biscuit Joinery' by Frank Klausz. The DVD is available at:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... &x=24&y=16

If you can find Klausz's 'Dovetail a Drawer' at a good price that's good too.

Ignore the ridiculous price of the copy featured on the bottom of that page btw, It's located in America and for some reason the Americans sometimes think these DVDs are worth more than they are. I believe Rutlands also stock this DVD at about £18.00

HTH

regards

John :)

Back