Where to get metal French Cleats?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bromley86

Reaction score
We need to hang a very heavy mirror and I like the idea of french cleats. Metal ones, preferably steel, will be half the depth of homemade timber ones.

I've no trouble finding them stateside, but has anyone used them (or something similar) over here? Are they called something else in the UK? Here's a link to a US one in case it's not clear what I'm talking about:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offe ... ct=Details

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum, Bromley!

Because this is your first post, the forum software won't let you use links. That's to stop the spam. After X number of posts you'll be able to.

Here's the link:
Steel Cleats at Rockler

And the image to save a click or two...

66605-md.jpg

I suspect they will be available somewhere in the UK as well. But if not, Rockler is good from what I have read about getting them to you quickly.

Alternatively, they are easy to make out of thin steel and a metal working vise.

Again, welcome.

Take care, Mike

I,ve used cabinet hanging brackets one the right way up, the other upside down, if you need longer lengths then you can get it in 3m lengths rather than the 2-3" brackets. Does not pull up quite as tight as a proper cleat but holds the item well.

Jason

Thanks guys.

Nice workaround jasonB - looking at the measurements on your link it should be a pretty decent fit. I've had a report that B&Q have stocked french cleats in the past, so I'll try that tomorrow. If not then the steel 2.5m length sounds good (I'd worry, unfairly no doubt, that the aluminium one wouldn't hold).

Latest posts

Back