Where to get Dust extraction impeller/motor??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julesbarn

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.
Anyone know where I can get just an impeller with motor in the uk? I want to vent my dust straight outside. I've had no luck searching online,and seems daft to buy a complete dust extraction unit just for the impeller/motor.

Any ideas gratefully received

Jules

I tried it once. Couldnt find so just bought a charnwood snd never used the frame

Hmm. I'm guessing most of what you're paying for is the impeller and motor anyway?

Thanks,

Jules

Yeah - I got a second hand 2hp extractor off ebay and just pulled off the motor to use with a thien baffle. I binned the rest

Been looking at the charnwoods, they do a wall mounted one for bout £180. All i need to bin is a bag! It's 1hp (750w). Will that be enough for 10" table saw or small thicknesser?

Yes, if you want to keep manually attaching the extractor to one or the other. You can get quick release clamps from axminster or cuffs.

If you're looking to get more or bigger machines and want to attach duct, you'll need a more powerful one

That's useful to know! Whenever i research all this dust collection stuff i get a headache..too technical for me!
Just want to keep things simple for now until i (one day) extend my small 25m2 workshop.

Thanks

Jules

What Matt said plus it will be no where good enough to extract from a Planer Thicknesser if you ever get one of even the smaller versions.

Mike

I take it you meant this one: http://www.charnwood.net/products/produ ... athway-109 if you do, then it will be absolutely on its limit at 850m3/hr and would be so easily overwhelmed if anything got stuck in the ductwork, I would advise going for a bigger unit.

When you say duct your dust outside, I hope you mean through a filter first.

Mike

If you mean the dewalt 733, I believe that has its own blower which helps eject the chips. Couple that with a 1hp extractor and it will be fine.

Yes Mike, that's the one. Thing is, it's cheaper; but if it'll struggle i spose there's not much point.
The thicknesser is the 733,an old one (10 yrs?); don't think it has it's own blower. I know the newer ones do.

I was planning on ducting outside without a filter! I live in the countryside, plenty of space and was going to run the ducting some distance (a good few meters) away from the workshop to behind my firewood shed. I was thinking of catching the heavier stuff in a bin in a vented enclosure, and let the fine stuff dissipate. Or use a cyclone to catch the majority of stuff. I've got a feeling you're going to tell me all this is still a bad idea! Well,im on a learning curve with dust extraction so i look forward to all advice re filter or not!

Jules

Not a bad idea, but don't underestimate the amount of chips a planer can produce. Also, you need to bear in mind that extractors are suckers over blowers. Whilst an extractor might be able to suck through several meters of duct, it's unlikely to be able to blow through several meters out the other end.

Its a bad idea environmentally, if you collect all the shavings and dust you could burn it in your workshop wood stove, nice and toasty, but do be careful of MDF dust it really can be nasty, also as you live rurally, wood chips are always in demand by equestrian centres and according to what timber you have planed horticultural outlets.

Mike

Interesting points chaps. Given what you say,I'm still confident i can create a setup that works.; where i can burn shavings (which i already do...even my piles of chainsaw shavings sometimes!) And collect most shavings in a big container from the extractor. I never use that orrible mdf. But..i often use recycled/scrap/pallet wood,which has sometimes been treated; the shavings from this are not suitable for animal bedding. We use chainsaw shavings from logs for the hens and duck house floor.

'Suckers over blowers'...that gives me the challenge of finding a closer spot to recieve the outlet end of the duct,where it wont get pulled back into the shed where my replacement air will come in. I guess this could be an open door/window for now (air inlet),and also enough so that the draw of the woodburner is not affected.

Just hope to find a cheap extractor unit now, with an ample impellor and motor.

Many thanks!

Jules

Julesbarn":1w5w55wh said:
I was planning on ducting outside without a filter! I live in the countryside, plenty of space and was going to run the ducting some distance (a good few meters) away from the workshop to behind my firewood shed. I was thinking of catching the heavier stuff in a bin in a vented enclosure, and let the fine stuff dissipate. Or use a cyclone to catch the majority of stuff. I've got a feeling you're going to tell me all this is still a bad idea! Well,im on a learning curve with dust extraction so i look forward to all advice re filter or not!

Jules
That sounds very similar to what I did: http://spikyfish.com/DustExtraction/

Though, we're about to move and I'm not going to be able to do that any more, so I'm likely going to have to work out a cyclone or Thien separator. Whether I'll then have to use filters too (to recycle the air back into the workshop) or go for no filters (and vent outside) I'm not sure yet. I figure that with a decent separator there should be effectively no visible dust in the exhaust air - but I don't know if a DIY cyclone or Thien will be that good.

sploo":1sbvyr71 said:
I figure that with a decent separator there should be effectively no visible dust in the exhaust air - but I don't know if a DIY cyclone or Thien will be that good.

In my experience, my cyclone captures about 90% (anecdotal of course) but my thien baffle captures 99.9%. It seems to be a much more efficient method of separation...

MattRoberts":wp4gz4fn said:
sploo":wp4gz4fn said:
I figure that with a decent separator there should be effectively no visible dust in the exhaust air - but I don't know if a DIY cyclone or Thien will be that good.

In my experience, my cyclone captures about 90% (anecdotal of course) but my thien baffle captures 99.9%. It seems to be a much more efficient method of separation...
Interesting - because the quotes I've usually seen would go the other way round; though there are a lot of really poor cyclones on the market.

Which one robs you of more air flow isn't entirely clear, but the consensus seems to be that the cyclone takes more out of your system.

sploo":unmtqws1 said:
MattRoberts":unmtqws1 said:
sploo":unmtqws1 said:

Interesting - because the quotes I've usually seen would go the other way round; though there are a lot of really poor cyclones on the market.

Which one robs you of more air flow isn't entirely clear, but the consensus seems to be that the cyclone takes more out of your system.
Maybe if they are a similar size. My cyclone is in the shop vac (so small) and my thien baffle is on the chip extractor (so large). I think the larger they are the better they work, due to the physical distance between the walls and the central pipe.

I was very surprised at the miniscule amount of dust that the thien has let through

MattRoberts":2eq3kypg said:
Maybe if they are a similar size. My cyclone is in the shop vac (so small) and my thien baffle is on the chip extractor (so large). I think the larger they are the better they work, due to the physical distance between the walls and the central pipe.

I was very surprised at the miniscule amount of dust that the thien has let through
Yea, the size factor is important. Apparently the ideal for a cyclone is quite thin, but then huge HP (10+) for the motor. The shop vac ones are good for the task, but the medium sized (e.g. 18-22" diameter) models with 5HP motors should in theory drop almost no visible dust over a period of months.

Have you posted about your Thien baffle? I'd love to see the solution as it's something I'm considering.

Latest posts

Back