Where to buy small ammouts of timber please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manxnorton

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all,
Well I nearly out of the scrap wood that I've collected.
So would like your advice the best place to buy my wood, and types of wood to start with?
I know yous would say it depends on the item I would like to make and the size!
Tbh I haven't got a definate answer what I would like to make!
But I fancy Paul sellers box caddy (5 part series on YouTube)
My thinking (and your know now it's not functioning properly) if I can practice a box and get it as best as I can using the new knowledge and adapting tools accordingly with my one hand I'll be chuffed to bits!!
For all I lack certains skills, I have time, patients, and not wanting to jump in stright away!
I'm please I've practiced non stop with the scap wood, hopefully I don't waste the new wood!!!! Lol
ATB
Bri

Hello Bri, that's an excellent project. You've done two really smart things, first you've chosen a project where you have clear instructions for each step along the way, and second you've made the decision to be patient and tackle this slowly and carefully. After forty years making furniture if there's one thing that I've learnt it's that woodworking is a game where the dice are really loaded in favour of the patient craftsman, when you're working wood the tortoise beats the hare every single time!

Regarding the timber, how does American Cherry sound? I'll watch the video and machine up the components to size (along with some practise pieces) which is no problems as I'm drowning in Cherry off-cuts! No charge, happy to help a fellow woodworker.

I've sent you a PM (Private Message) with more details.

Good luck!

custard":133aeltj said:
Hello Bri, that's an excellent project. You've done two really smart things, first you've chosen a project where you have clear instructions for each step along the way, and second you've made the decision to be patient and tackle this slowly and carefully. After forty years making furniture if there's one thing that I've learnt it's that woodworking is a game where the dice are really loaded in favour of the patient craftsman, when you're working wood the tortoise beats the hare every single time!

Regarding the timber, how does American Cherry sound? I'll watch the video and machine up the components to size (along with some practise pieces) which is no problems as I'm drowning in Cherry off-cuts! No charge, happy to help a fellow woodworker.

I've sent you a PM (Private Message) with more details.

Good luck!

Wow!! I'm truly knocked down with the kindness on the Forum.
Thank you so much.
I've heard about American Cherry but never seen it.
I've worked with the wood that Paul uses in his caddy, for scales for knives.
M8, I would loved to offer for the postage, if you don't mind.
Look fwd to seeing the PM.
Thx again
Bri

I'm humbled by your generosity, and quite overwhelmed by the kindness on the forum.
Thanks custard I hope your didn't fall asleep with my PM with my boring letter haha!
ATB
Bri

Custard posted me some nice pieces of steamed pear a good while ago. Definitely an asset to the forum. Exactly what new woodworkers in this country need.

BearTricks":11wpoctp said:
Custard posted me some nice pieces of steamed pear a good while ago. Definitely an asset to the forum. Exactly what new woodworkers in this country need.
Mi can Defo second that!
Tbh I've not experience a type of forum that such kind hearted and willing to share the knowledge.
I was used with the 'cloak n dagger' tactics..is if a secret art are being taken away or as if your are going to be better than that person, or make money..if yous know what I mean..(not all are bad btw)
ATB
Bri

Hi Bri,
I'm also in Newcastle (Heaton) with a well equipped workshop and lots of offcuts. You're welcome to come round to try out various tools and have some of my bits of wood. Give me a pm to sort out.
Mick

You have to love this site sometimes. I wonder sometimes if I'd have given up the ghost even with my paltry efforts if it wasn't for the kindness, generosity and willingness to share of strangers.
Fair play. :D

Hello Bri,

I had a glance at the Paul Sellers video and drew up the following cutting list,

Ends, 2 off, 114mm x 76mm x 12.5mm
Back, 1 off, 286mm x 76mm x 8mm
Front, 1 off, 286mm x 51mm x 8mm
Base, 1 off, 298mm x 127mm x 8mm
Dividers, number according to design, length to be determined after dry fit assembly x 51mm x 12.5mm

Looking through the wood store I found some very nice quarter sawn Oak, so went with that for the box itself and used quarter sawn Cedar of Lebanon for the base. I've cut and dimensioned all the components to finished size for making two complete boxes, so you can get stuck straight in with the shaping and jointing, and if you mess the first one up no problems as there's another one still left to make (be patient and careful and you won't mess up by the way!).

I've left the dividers over-long as I don't know how deep your dado/housing joints will be. I suggest you do a dry assembly and then cross cut them to the precise length you need. I've included sufficient materials for you to have up to three dividers per box.

Here's what all the component parts look like,

Paul-Sellers-Box.jpg

I've also filled up the parcel with an assortment of other off-cuts so you've got something to practise with.

The Oak I've sent by the way is pretty interesting. A few years ago I'd popped into a one man and a dog saw mill that's well off the beaten track, the owner had just done the opening cut on an Oak log that he was planning on cutting up for fence posts. He called me over with a worried look saying his fence post customers wouldn't be happy with this. When I looked it was clear this particular Oak log had some exceptional ripple figure. I bought the entire log and had it sawn up into quarter sawn boards. I've only ever seen rippled Oak once before, it's as rare as hen's teeth and it's really very special...but as an ex-serviceman you're pretty special too so it's only fitting that you get to use the good stuff!

It'll be in the post tomorrow and hopefully with you by the end of the week.

Good luck!

Attachments

• Paul-Sellers-Box.jpg
    Paul-Sellers-Box.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 142
custard":2oexi2e2 said:
Hello Bri,

I had a glance at the Paul Sellers video and drew up the following cutting list,

Ends, 2 off, 114mm x 76mm x 12.5mm
Back, 1 off, 286mm x 76mm x 8mm
Front, 1 off, 286mm x 51mm x 8mm
Base, 1 off, 298mm x 127mm x 8mm
Dividers, number according to design, length to be determined after dry fit assembly x 51mm x 12.5mm

Looking through the wood store I found some very nice quarter sawn Oak, so went with that for the box itself and used quarter sawn Cedar of Lebanon for the base. I've cut and dimensioned all the components to finished size for making two complete boxes, so you can get stuck straight in with the shaping and jointing, and if you mess the first one up no problems as there's another one still left to make (be patient and careful and you won't mess up by the way!).

I've left the dividers over-long as I don't know how deep your dado/housing joints will be. I suggest you do a dry assembly and then cross cut them to the precise length you need. I've included sufficient materials for you to have up to three dividers per box.

Here's what all the component parts look like,

I've also filled up the parcel with an assortment of other off-cuts so you've got something to practise with.

The Oak I've sent by the way is pretty interesting. A few years ago I'd popped into a one man and a dog saw mill that's well off the beaten track, the owner had just done the opening cut on an Oak log that he was planning on cutting up for fence posts. He called me over with a worried look saying his fence post customers wouldn't be happy with this. When I looked it was clear this particular Oak log had some exceptional ripple figure. I bought the entire log and had it sawn up into quarter sawn boards. I've only ever seen rippled Oak once before, it's as rare as hen's teeth and it's really very special...but as an ex-serviceman you're pretty special too so it's only fitting that you get to use the good stuff!

It'll be in the post tomorrow and hopefully with you by the end of the week.

Good luck!

Bravo that man! =D>

Custard in the real mustard.

By the way - I got some oak by buying a "hobby pack" which are offcuts from British Hardwwoods. It was £25.00 including delivery for 15 kg - not very descriptive I know. It turned out to be quite a lot of timber. I don't know if that's expensive or cheap thoough for offcuts ( the largest part was just under 46 x 1.5 x 5 inches) it was mostly sawn though a couple of bits were PAR.

Custard,
I cant thank you enough for your generosity, im truly gob smacked.
the wood looks great.
im a bit nervous now lol....don't know why haha! probably coz if I screw up the first box, its even more pressure on.
As I said in my pm, im cracking on with a gift for all your help that you might like, just fair m8.
Im going to transfer over to Bri's projects coz ive got questions and concerns (not bad ones!)
I love Oak, great if its dried, I lost a few scales for a knife, and learnt.
thx m8 about the service, I enjoyed my time and after totalling 25 years it was time to hang up my beret and enjoy life.
Ive met some amazing people, and now ive found a great family on here. Blessed with a great sense of humour and a kind heart and listening to advice I might get there..lol
mind I need to make a ramp for my mobility scooter to get in and out the house....gets me thinkin....well nearly..but that's another question for the forum.
ATB
Bri

timbo614":u835tnop said:
Custard in the real mustard.

By the way - I got some oak by buying a "hobby pack" which are offcuts from British Hardwwoods. It was £25.00 including delivery for 15 kg - not very descriptive I know. It turned out to be quite a lot of timber. I don't know if that's expensive or cheap thoough for offcuts ( the largest part was just under 46 x 1.5 x 5 inches) it was mostly sawn though a couple of bits were PAR.

thx m8,
ill look at it when I settle down.
sounds ok, but im not experience aswell.
ATB
Bri

SPSlick":k9n4ydh5 said:
Hi Bri,
I'm also in Newcastle (Heaton) with a well equipped workshop and lots of offcuts. You're welcome to come round to try out various tools and have some of my bits of wood. Give me a pm to sort out.
Mick
hallo Mick,
sorry pal I missed your message.
great m8.
Id be over the moon to meet you and see your workshop, hopfully try ya tools.
im at Benton.
ill PM you pal
ATB
Bri

Latest posts

Back