Where do I get "float glass" and do I actually need it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boxer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there

More newbie questions.

I've just been watching some of the youtube "Scary Sharp" videos for info on tool sharpening. They recommend that you use float glass as a bed but I can't find a supplier.

So would any thick glass do the trick? And what about other alternatives such as marble or even a laminate worktop ??

What do people use here ?

Cheers
Chris

I assume you have tried local glass suppliers? Axminster sell their own and the veritas float glass. Workshop heaven also sell it.

I use a granite chopping board from tesco. I am sure i read somewhere that all glass now is floated, so a thick piece from a local glass merchant should be fine :)

Hi Chris,

first off as has been said any glazing supplier will have float glass and know why you need it if you phone them up it would seem! It's glass that hasn't been toughened basically, i just got two pieces of 10mm today cut to Matthew's size for £8 (sorry!) from my local supplier from off cuts they had, checked for being lovely and with the edges sorted so job done there.

As to do you need it or what other people use there pretty big questions here! Have a read of a few pages of the hand tool section and see what you make of it, there's a lot of information there and i found it really helpful. For me, new to all this as you, i wanted to keep it cheap and simple. However i don't know what i'm doing yet so i have gone for float glass, a second hand veritas M2 guide that came with a angle gauge i got for £35, and to cheer Matthew up a starter pack of sheets from him (excellent service by the way).

This means basically that i have the equivalent of a full set of stones and some 'training wheels' to find out and ensure i have the right angle on the item i trying to sharpen. Whilst i want to move over to stones i see this as effective way as kind of getting a datum point i suppose and i can compliment it over time if i want to, if i start going through one size of sheet for example i'll get a stone of that type.

Anyway i'll stop waffling lol, have fun!

Dean

Dean as you haven't used film before. Use light strokes and lubricant, water is fine. Too much pressure can tear the film. Don't ask how i know :-"

I use a slab of granite and a piece of glass stuck to a length of kitchen work top. both work well. the granite I got as an offcut form a stone mason for £5.00 and the glass sheet is a glass shelf for £2.99. I stick wet and dry paper to these down to 2000 grit and have blades that can shave and cut hanging paper like hot knife through butter, oh yes and they can even cut wood effortlessly. (hammer)

If using glass, turn 1 " of the abrasive paper under the edge farthest away from you, and place the whole lot on top of one of those non-slip mats, no need for spray adhesives etc, just be sure to draw the chisel/plane iron toward you.

If you're using sandpaper that is not stuck down (for instance tightly fastened under the glass plate), I've found it curls up just a bit, like a wave, ahead of the metal. This tends to dub the leading edge of the metal. Thus, the best way is to stick the paper down.

Fromey":2k1s7mcf said:
If you're using sandpaper that is not stuck down (for instance tightly fastened under the glass plate), I've found it curls up just a bit, like a wave, ahead of the metal. This tends to dub the leading edge of the metal. Thus, the best way is to stick the paper down.

Yep - some spraymount does the trick for me. LOL

Dibs

I use the bed of my planer if I want to use wet n dry. Float glass would do it the same I expect.
If you use paper backed abrasive (not cloth) a good wetting with white spirit is enough to hold it down. No need to stick - just flood it with the fluid of your choice. Water will do on glass, granite (or other non rusting) and you can lift off the swarf with a magnet. Handy to have your A4 size piece of paper sitting in a pool on A3 or larger glass/granite etc.
It helps to store your wet n dry between boards to keep it flat.

The white spirit here is enough to hold the paper in place and when it's all wetted it will lie flatter than in this picture, esp if you have flat pieces to start with.

sv12.jpg

Boxer":3r2ooefo said:
Hi there

More newbie questions.

I've just been watching some of the youtube "Scary Sharp" videos for info on tool sharpening. They recommend that you use float glass as a bed but I can't find a supplier.

So would any thick glass do the trick? And what about other alternatives such as marble or even a laminate worktop ??

What do people use here ?

Cheers
Chris

For sharpening, almost any surface that is reasonably flat and smooth will serve. Marble tiles and/or chopping boards are common. Float glass is common, although thin and flexible enough that a support (e.g. MDF) is needed.

Some people use granite surface plates (which are certainly flat and smooth).

BugBear

What a gret forum this is.

Thanks to all for the good advice - and saving me some hard earned money :D

Cheers
Chris

Back