Where can I get proper insurance for my Workshop???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark.R

Established Member
Reaction score
My workshop is almost complete, and it is very large with a load of both hand and power tools. I have just kitted it out with a complete dust extraction system to all the power tools as well. The workshop building is approx 35 yards away from my main house, and I feel the level of insurance provided to "outside sheds," with a cap on the ammount covered to be far short of the cost of my overall set up.

The Ins company I am with at the moment will not extend the cover any further, and it appears a rather common level of cover for an outisde shed.

Could anyone please update me with where some of you have had your ins cover from? Also, does it go that extra required distance to adequately cover the building and most importantly- the tools?

Thanks

Mark.R

I added 10K to my buildings insurance to cover additional outbuildings. I also added 15K to my direct line house contents policy, and had a note inserted to the policy that although they were professional tools, they were for "home" use only. Direct line see all outbuildings the same, although did insist I tell them the locking arrangements (5 lever security mortice + two decent padlocks.

Adam

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum.

This is a tricky one, as you say your standard contents cover will not suffice. You may well have to find some kind of manufacturing insurance. You can get insurance for tradespeople to cover their tools etc in a remote building but the premiums are very high for a rather modest cover.

I would have a word with a few local brokers and see if what they can come up with, I wish you all the best in your endeavors. I would certainly be interested to know how you get on.

regards

brian

My tools are covered for all risks by CIS , i have had them stolen five times and they have been very good every time . CIS are a co op group and you have to have your contents insurance with them to get the all risks tool thingy .

I'm with more than and providing no single item is more than £2000 it's covered under the general contents insurance, I checked specifically with them about tools in the garage. The garage is suitably locked and is on the house alarm though.

as many guys will know getting van insurance is also a major problem.

recently on some tv channels have seen adverts for a company called gladiator who claim they will do van insurance too.

if you are over a certain age, ie 50, then rias are pretty good for household stuff, so may be worth a check.

have you been on line to check it out??
paul :wink:

Back