where can i buy black wood stain?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ_1380

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

Just a quick one.

Where sells black wood dye? I've just bought some Sadolin but its awful, has some kind of varnish added so it dries shiney. I just want a nice simple water based black stain.

I'm in Merseyside area.

Cheers

Russ

Chestnut Black Spirit Dye is good stuff. I used it on the lamp that I made and it came out really nice.

I've used Liberon Tudor Oak in the past and that is pretty black and certainly no varnish in there dries matt but it is spirit based - better than water based in my book.

Bob

Well I'm experimenting. At the mo, I fancy trying it on some beech ply

Beech is not an easy wood to stain, it just does not soak in.

Jason

Hi,

I use one of those infallible black markers, sorry indelible on small stuff.

Pete

There is - was, in the 19th Century - a fashion and technique of faking ebony furniture called ebonising, using various preparation, not just shop-bought stains. It was big in France and produced some convincing results on basic woods.

Try Googling the term 'Ebonising' or 'Ebonizing' - there's a lot out there.

thank you

That is interesting, i'll have a look.

I shall stick to paint for this job as its only for some rough cupboards in the garage.

I'll probs try the nice stains when I have something nicer to try it on.

Cheers

R

Have you tried Van Dyke Crystals, these are diluted in hot water to make a stain from light brown to dense black dependant on the amount used.
Very cheap, makes a lot and goes a long way, must be sealed afterwards as it is vulnerable being water based, but very effective and one of my favourites. Ebonised Oak casket below.
Derek.

3686931536_07a08ea73b.jpg

Traditional mix for black stain without toxic spirits

Collect a quantity of oak galls ( a long forgotten craft this) and boil to produce a good strong mix of tannic acid, meanwhile soak some old nails, steel wool in some strong vinegar for a few days to produce a ferrous ? solution. So now we have a 2 part chemical stain, Apply the tannic first so it penetrates the wood, so wood choice is important, hard, hard woods like beech to not work well unless you want the grain to show, anyway when you have done that apply the ferrous mix. This is the same process as bog oak. Ah yes, oak has its own tannic so that is not necessary.

Latest posts

Back