When is "solid oak" not solid?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Instead of this issue of solid wood and not solid wood, maybe the question should be what are they using for the core.

The pics at the beginning of this thread look like some sort of tropical hardwood to me.

Is it illegally logged?

Is it on the blocked import list?

Do the likes of OFL have any trace on where this timber has come from?

There are tests and I would love to see them be investigated.

John Brown":1emzctk6 said:
How many table tops are made from one board?

It can be considered a positive advantage to make a composite of dis-orientated pieces in order to minimise cupping, bowing and twisting.

The likes of OFL could be viewed as a helpful 'stepping stone' introducing the general public to the benefits of a higher quality product. Some of them may then go on to buy more bespoke furniture having found a taste for something better built.

-Neil

SBJ":3r97s36k said:
I think that you need to take a step back and take a deep breath!! Total non issue, really. I'd suggest that instead of taking any more time thinking about this or writing letters of complaint, you should go and buy a homeless person a coffee, or visit an elderly neighbour or just something that is worthwhile with your time.

That comes across as a remarkably patronising comment.

I guess this thread has more than run its course, judging by the sniping which has begun - but at least sh****ning hasn't been mentioned. Just a few additional thoughts from sitting looking at the various doors in situ (and trying to take my mind off morning session with oncologist!).
Clearly, in a lot of cases, laminating and veneering make sense when they allow better finishes or the use of less than perfect timber. In fact the doors of the better quality cabinets have the infill panels made of edge jointed boards anyway, which makes use of smaller sections of the original tree. Reason for slight annoyance with the poorer quality ones is that they DON'T do this openly; wrapping everything in bland veneer is aesthetically less pleasing to me, and potentially misleading to non-expert customers.

Of course, what is really a travesty is something I didn't mention in the original post - the infill panels of these "solid oak" doors aren't even laminated onto solid timber, which would be bad enough, but are wood-faced chipboard. Reckon my original post was straining at a gnat and swallowing a dirty great chipboard camel.

Latest posts

Back