Wheelie need your help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodgerbaz

Established Member
Reaction score
OK all you vehicle makes . . . how do you paint your wheels?

I have a load to paint and am struggling to get a decent finish and am getting more on my hands than on the wheels. They are 2" in diameter and I hold them by my finger and thumb then thread them on to some dowel so I can paint the bit I was holding but they keep spinning. I've tried trying to hold the wheel still with a small screwdriver but its all a bit flimsy, very annoying and feels like a hamster in a cage as the quicker I paint the faster the wheel spins around.

I hate painting anyway and this isn't helping to cheer me up at all. The thing is, I'd like to make lots of these and donate to charity so a quick solution to painting dozens of wheels would be great.

I know it would be better to not have to paint them but I want to paint the vehicles in primary colours and the wheels really need to be black.

H - E - L - P :roll:

I have had similar problems in the past and with all my paint jobs I use spray paint, so much easier than a brush. If you want a shiny finish then use spray on lacquer. I find the way to a professional finsish is little and often, better to give six thin coats trather than one thick one.

Here's an idea - get a long piece of dowel - the same size of the hole in the wheel.

Slide them all on giving enough angle/space for either your brush / spray can then a couple of bricks and suspend the dowel then paint them and turn slowly.

Once touch dry I would start taking them off otherwise the excess paint will possibly secure the wheels to the dowel.

Just an idea....

Alternatively I suppose if you were spraying them you could make up something with wire hooks hanging down made from coat hanger wire or similar. You could then hang the wheels on to the hooks where they could be sprayed all round and left to dry.

Get or make a piece of dowel slightly bigger than the hole and then sand a taper on it to just undersize, that'll stop 'em spinning and also stop them dropping down to your hand.

Some great ideas there - thank you very much. I must have a go at one or two of those and let you know how I get on.

Many thanks again . . . although I'll never get around to liking painting.

I also can't paint and have on occasion resorted to black Pentel or similar marker

John

The Pentel Marathon rage are AP certified I also think the other ranges are too, so they are safe to use in toys, but If I were you I would document the usage just in case Trading Standards call on the Charity you are making for Re the CE requirements, that is if the Charity are selling them but there again it would be better if you were CE compliant

John

Many thanks for that John.

jonluv":2psr9lig said:
. . . but there again it would be better if you were CE compliant John

Whoah, that sounds beyond making a few toys for charity and the Cat's Action Trust. I'm not going in for full scale manufacturing :shock: :wink:

Hi Bodgerbaz

Sorry about that another, thanks to EU, but the fine can be £5000 should they wish to prosecute

The Standard ( EN BS 71) is not too difficult to comply with as a lot of the 11 sections may not apply to people like us

John

Latest posts

Back