What's your most used Chisel Size?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDavidRoberts

Established Member
Reaction score
At the moment I have some cheap nasty chisels that are only good for battering something or opening paint cans, However I have realized I don't have a single chisel left with what I could do any actual task which requires a good chisel.
So I wanted to buy some new, however I realize I don't need a set of 10 or 20 , some 2-3 but from the more expensive shelf would probably do most of the tasks, so really looking to buy just a few good ones.

What would be Your TOP 3 Most used chisel sizes ( and in what order) ?

1/2" / 12mm
1/4" / 6mm
3/4"/ 19mm

That's the order I bought them in. And I know it's three not two, but chisels are cheap.

Depends what you are doing. Framing I use 1" 1.5" 2" and some bigger slicks.

Everything else I probably pick up a 1/2" chisel first. I do find a small chisel, 1/8" I suppose surprisingly useful for cleaning out awkward deep mortise corners or trimming up little slots.

1/2" followed by 1"
rarely do I find a tenon any smaller than this, both are beveled and the 1/2" gets used for dovetails too, both are fairly cheap although I have 2 or 3 of both which range in price because I inherited a few better ones.

wait for the aldi set, you'll get 3 or 4 (cant remember) ok chisels for little money.

I don't gravitate towards one chisel- I do try to fit the tool to the job, and I have some dozens to choose from. That said, the 3/4" to 1" range probably gets a bit more workout than either extreme.

3/4 inch then 1/4 inch and once in a while a 1 1/2 inch paring chisel.I also highly recommend getting hold of at least one cranked chisel.

worn thumbs":1aiu6epo said:
3/4 inch then 1/4 inch and once in a while a 1 1/2 inch paring chisel.I also highly recommend getting hold of at least one cranked chisel.

Although I have a selection of different chisels, I don't have any cranked ones and so far I've never found an excuse to buy one, which is a pity, as they look so nice. What should I be tackling where one would be needed? (I don't plan to take up patternmaking, as I haven't got round to building a foundry yet. :wink: )

AndyT":2eyeywbz said:
worn thumbs":2eyeywbz said:

Although I have a selection of different chisels, I don't have any cranked ones and so far I've never found an excuse to buy one, which is a pity, as they look so nice. What should I be tackling where one would be needed? (I don't plan to take up patternmaking, as I haven't got round to building a foundry yet. :wink: )

Cranked chisels do come in handy anywhere you don't have room for your knuckles under the handle or need to work in a slight recess. Often you can achieve these cuts by using your chisel bevel side down but sometimes the extra length is nice to have.

You can get by without it, but if one comes along at a reasonable price, grab it.

AndyT":3cqlsd3e said:
1/2" / 12mm
1/4" / 6mm
3/4"/ 19mm.

Wot 'ee said. I use my 1" for paring and as a 'poor man's slick' fairly often. 1/2" is the goto for tuning things.

PS: I made a "pair" of skews recently, from cheap secondhand 1/4" chisels from Bristol Design, reground and honed at a skew. I'm trying 30 degrees, as I think 45 makes the pointy bit too fragile, and for square joints, 30 is enough to get in there. I don't do dovetails often enough to have a preference, but they were cheap, and if it's not enough I'll simply re-grind them.

MrDavidRoberts":3uqzu999 said:
...some 2-3 but from the more expensive shelf would probably do most of the tasks...
Any interest in secondhand tools? All my best chisels came from car boots.

Buying new if you get good chisels it is money well spent as they'll last you the rest of your life. But there's many an old one out there waiting for its next careful owner :)

Eric The Viking":2199vkzl said:
AndyT":2199vkzl said:
1/2" / 12mm
1/4" / 6mm
3/4"/ 19mm.
Wot 'ee said.
Ditto.

Eric The Viking":2199vkzl said:
I use my 1" for paring and as a 'poor man's slick' fairly often.
I use a modern 50mm bevel-edge as my poor man's slick. I'm so glad I bought it (only chisel I've bought new since taking up the hobby) because for the few jobs I use it for it's unbeatable.

Latest posts

Back