What's your 'general purpose' bandsaw blade?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I don't own a table saw and, therefore, use my bandsaw for most of my ripping, I normally have a fairly coarse blade fitted most of the time. For instance, right now, I have a new (not to be confused with the ones six months ago!) 5/8" x 4tpi thin-kerf blade from Dragon Saws. The finish is excellent and I've used it already for ripping oak, pine and the finish it leaves on MDF isn't too bad either.

EdSutton":3s2rzb00 said:
Tony":3s2rzb00 said:
Dragon variable tooth M42 3/4" blade.

Never swap it and it has lasted for ages

Tony- forgive my ignorance, but whats a variable tooth blade?

Cheers, Ed

Dragon make a blade with varying tooth pitch along it so you get the best of both worlds. I think mine repeatedly goes from around 4TPI to 10TPI or some such numbers along its length (been using it so long I forget).

It cross cuts and rips thick timber (up to 12.5" high on my saw) very cleanly and easily

As changing the blade generally involves readjusting the guides etc. and takes time - I generally use the one that's already fitted - unless it will not do the job at hand :)

Rod

/\ - quite.

That's why a 18mm 3tpi Lenox Trimaster (bought for resawing a bunch of veneers from very abrasive timber) has become my standard blade by default. I swap it out if I saw anything with a curve or anyhting reclaimed which might have metal in it, but it ends up back in there soon afterwards, and then gets left in until the next curve/bit of junk. Very lazy.

Jake, Trimaster? Is that the carbide tipped one? If so, where'd you find it? Was under impression only tipped blades imported to UK were rather wide. Around 1.5", say.

I called up Lenox UK and asked for names of a couple localish dealers - both were engineering suppliers. There's a vari-pitch version which isn't available below 1.5", but the normal blades go at least down to 1/2".

Jake":3p0scr26 said:
I called up Lenox UK and asked for names of a couple localish dealers - both were engineering suppliers. There's a vari-pitch version which isn't available below 1.5", but the normal blades go at least down to 1/2".

Are these TCT tipped type Jake? What sort of cost are they mate?

Thanks

Mattty":2mrvz7f7 said:
Jake":2mrvz7f7 said:

Are these TCT tipped type Jake? What sort of cost are they mate?

Yes. Expensive - it was a little over £100 for my saw with p&p.

The hideously calcified timber I was using at the time was blunting ordinary bimetallic blades for fun, so I reckon it has about half paid for itself, and no signs of any dulling yet.

Thought I'd revive this thread as it deals with the question I was about to ask before doing a search.

I've picked up a Rexon 12 1/2" bandsaw that's been little used - thought I couldn't go wrong at £70 - and want to get a replacement blade(s... in time!). I'm just after a general purpose blade to begin with; in truth, a precise, smooth finish will probably never be a major concern as I like to finish stuff by hand (planes, chisels, etc.).

I have the Band Saw Bench Guide by Mark Duginske and he states that consumer grade bandsaws will at most only run a 1/2" blade properly; a 1/4" is the width most frequently used for general purpose sawing according to him.

Axminster, on the other hand, suggest a 3/8" 4tpi skip tooth blade as good for all round work. This is what I was thinking of going for as 1/4" seems a bit too narrow for ripping. They do a 3/8" 3tpi as well: this would cut faster but would the teeth dull considerably quicker due to the coarser pitch?

Back