What's this large folding square used for?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i2h

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me something about a large wooden sqaure, I've just acquired. It measures 49.5" long and has 3 Limbs. It's stamped P.B & S Ltd and B54055 and has what looks like a Militray arrow mark. It unfolds to form a (triangular) square and is marked with various angles. One of the Limbs (they are marked Limb A, Limb B & Limb C) contains a small spirit level. The fittings are made of brass. When it is opened out there is a brass fitting that looks like it would have held possibly a handle. Any help would be appreciated.

Any pictures? If I'm picturing it right in my mind, at that kind of size, then it could be a builders laying out square perhaps?

Hello and welcome, as the man said, pictures would be helpful, and perhaps a member will have an answer.
Regards Rodders

Thanks for your thoughts, so far. Here are some photos....

Attachments

• IMG_6769.JPG
    IMG_6769.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_6768.JPG
    IMG_6768.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_6763.JPG
    IMG_6763.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_6764.JPG
    IMG_6764.JPG
    251.3 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_6767.JPG
    IMG_6767.JPG
    220.6 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_6766.JPG
    IMG_6766.JPG
    223.4 KB · Views: 196
As MM says, Its an angle finder, With a little luck, a member may be able to find some history of the maker.
Regards Rodders

As MM says, Its an angle finder, With a little luck, a member may be able to find some history of the maker.
Regards Rodders

Hi,

It looks like its a collapsable equivalent of a framing square set up to be used by the trades, especially roofers and joiners. The Commons in the 4th picture are the same as would be found on a roofing sqaure.

If you want to see how it works, do a youtube search for something like "How to use a speed sqaure" - its a different type of sqaure but the methods are identical.

Steve

Latest posts

Back