whats not to like about these wet and dry vacs?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the real question is do you have an actual need for it? It's Massive,heavy, takes up a lot of space and I doubt is really practical?
oh and it's 3000w! that's almost 50p an hour to run it.

Power take off would have been handy but they look decent for the money...

There's a chap selling used Numatics of similar size on eBay for less than half that price.

British made, spares readily available, glass-filled plastic tank (tough and unlikely ever to leak), and relatively quiet. If you really need something like that, I'd go that route, rather than something Chinese which you'd probably have to throw away when something on it broke.

We're lucky here: there's a Numatic agent literally at the end of the road, and he keeps lots of spares, but I'm pretty certain Numatic also do mail order if you need anything. But there's hardly anything to break: the motors are almost bomb proof, the switches are standard (RS Components?), you can fit new power cables easily - that doesn't leave much!

That said, I took a punt on a 60-quid Parkside one from Lidl recently (with a power tool outlet), and so far it's been really good. I have some difficulty getting the correct size bags for it (other than from Germany), but even that has a workaround. But unlike those big things, it blows and sucks, and has a PTO, so is more generally useful (haven't actually needed the wet function).

E.

I have a wet/dry Numatic that I bought second hand over twenty five years ago, it sat in my barn for fifteen years unused and unloved, needed something for my woodworking, plugged it in and off it went, twin bypass motors and still going as strong six years later.

Mike

Eric The Viking":1qam0uto said:
There's a chap selling used Numatics of similar size on eBay for less than half that price.

British made, spares readily available, glass-filled plastic tank (tough and unlikely ever to leak), and relatively quiet. If you really need something like that, I'd go that route, rather than something Chinese which you'd probably have to throw away when something on it broke.

We're lucky here: there's a Numatic agent literally at the end of the road, and he keeps lots of spares, but I'm pretty certain Numatic also do mail order if you need anything. But there's hardly anything to break: the motors are almost bomb proof, the switches are standard (RS Components?), you can fit new power cables easily - that doesn't leave much!

That said, I took a punt on a 60-quid Parkside one from Lidl recently (with a power tool outlet), and so far it's been really good. I have some difficulty getting the correct size bags for it (other than from Germany), but even that has a workaround. But unlike those big things, it blows and sucks, and has a PTO, so is more generally useful (haven't actually needed the wet function).

E.
If you look at the £50 one by that maker right at the bottom of the page, it has a blow function. It doesn't look bad at all. The mid range one is sold out.

I bought something similar from screwfix :

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb431v ... 240v/39587

It works well for my needs. Kind of wish I went for a smaller one though. I ended up taking the handle and wheelbase off to save space. The handle didn't seem to help much, just got in the way. And the wheels (front) just didn't work with the uneven surface on my garage floor, kept getting stuck. So now I just lift it to where I need. Another annoying thing I find about these high power vacs is the mains lead. To cope with their own power requirements as well as power take off, they're chunky! .. very chunky! .. at least mine is. And it's made of that horrible pastic that just wants to kink and get in a mess all the time. I hope to replace that with something else one day.

The one you posted looks even bigger again, quite a bit bigger! .. so just make sure you have the space for it.

I would also consider power take off to be a must personally.

owsnap":2i09oram said:
the real question is do you have an actual need for it? It's Massive,heavy, takes up a lot of space and I doubt is really practical?
oh and it's 3000w! that's almost 50p an hour to run it.

I have a farm as well so thought it may be good for grain store etc. As well

Can anyone link me to the bloke on ebay doing used numatics please? Im looking for a big vac with loads of suck for workshop and farm area.

Eric The Viking":1bdb9bfa said:
I have some difficulty getting the correct size bags for it (other than from Germany), but even that has a workaround.

Would be interest to hear about the workaround.

Terry.

Wizard9999":1jb62cvf said:
Eric The Viking":1jb62cvf said:
I have some difficulty getting the correct size bags for it (other than from Germany), but even that has a workaround.

Would be interest to hear about the workaround.

Terry.
Most "30 litre" (yeah, right!) bags seem to be wider and shorter (IYSWIM) than the proper ones for that machine. That would be reasonably OK, *if* I changed the bags frequently, and *if* they were only used for household dust, which isn't very heavy.

But I use it for building rubble (small lumps and dust), etc, and try to make the bags last as long as I can. So If they get overloaded they tear where the cardboard piece is that holds the rubber sleve round the spigot - it's the only place the bag is supported.

Simply putting something in the bottom (a disc of thick Celotex, for example), provides support for the other sort of bag. If it can rest on something so it can fill but not tear, everything is fine. As/when I get the taller, proper bags (have a few still), I just leave the disc out when I do a bag change.

It's currently got three or four bits of floorboard in there, as that's what was handy when I did it. They make it a bit heavy though (and I've now found where I put the really thick Celotex offcuts!).

I think someone else on here suggested it first - wasn't my idea, but can't remember who.

E.

Back