Whats come out of the workshop today

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rough turned some Elm bowls the other week, ranging between 9 and 17 inch, had a look at them this morning, and the smaller ones looked farily dry, so I finished one of the nine by two and three quarter inch ones, and it has turned out as below.
very light in colour, I like it though.

well the sun is shining down here on the sunny south coast, so I am going to find a crash helmet get one of my bikes out and make the most of it.

Steve
IMG_23881forum.jpg

IMG_23892forum.jpg

IMG_23903forum.jpg

Turned out nice again :lol:

..the weather and the bowl, like your style :wink:

Another nice piece Steve :D
Nice looking piece of Elm.Is it oil finished.
Hope you enjoyed your bike ride.
Weather as been great today :D

thank you Graham ,I think the weather is here for the weekend, . . . . . this one is finished with wax Paul, got a nail in the tire on my bike, the tire guy would repair it but said he shouldn't really, and as I am riding down to the south of france soon I thought I better get a new one, so that £120 gone. back to the Elm bowl, most of the other Elm I have used previously is darker than this lot, but I quite like anyway.
steve

Nice bowls. I love the wild grain you get with Elm. Sadly don't get too much scrap Elm so haven't turned much myself.

Pete

thanks Pete, I was lucky enough to be know some tree surgeons that were cutting down about 30 odd elms, and they were only to happy to let me take the butts, by the time I had cut them into planks and then blanks the biggest that I got was 17 x 6 or 7" thick.
Its always worth asking tree surgeons when you see them cutting down stuff, they are often more than happy to give stuff away and when you get to know them they will quite often sell you burrs at a reasonable cost.

steve

That looks like it was a pleasure to turn Steve, I really like Elm for turning, used to swear at it a lot when trying to do flatwork with it but somehow the rogue grain seems no worse than some other timbers when in the round.

Colour wise out of that i have acquired it is the hybrid species that are considerably lighter than regular English Elm.

it was a pleasure to turn Chas, and that could explain why it is lighter in colour, when I first got the chainsaw out and planked it I thought it looked a bit boring but at least it was free, but now having finished the first bowl I am very pleased with the nice figuring and am looking forward to the bigger stuff drying out.

steve

Back