What would you do in this situation?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
marcros":2y9fhv9a said:
dickm":2y9fhv9a said:
On a lighter note, we had incredible black ice one night a couple of weeks back, and in the morning, there was a very neat skid mark across the road ending in the drystane dyke on our roadside boundary.

Dick,

what is a dyke up your way- down where I was bought up in lincolnshire it was a drainage ditch?

Mark
marcros":2y9fhv9a said:
dickm":2y9fhv9a said:
On a lighter note, we had incredible black ice one night a couple of weeks back, and in the morning, there was a very neat skid mark across the road ending in the drystane dyke on our roadside boundary.

Dick,

what is a dyke up your way- down where I was bought up in lincolnshire it was a drainage ditch?

Mark

In Scotland a dyke is a dry built stone wall. Down in the south it's.......something else.

I'm a little surprised to see a unanimous "report it" decision - excellent advice from all I think. Also:

dyke 2 (dk) also dike
n. Offensive Slang
Used as a disparaging term for a lesbian.
[Origin unknown.]
dykey adj.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
Dyke [dɑɪk]
n
(Biographies / Dyke, Greg(ory) (1947 M, British, FILMS AND TV: television executive) Greg(ory). born 1947, British television executive; director-general of the BBC from 2000
dyke1, dike [daɪk]
n
1. (Engineering / Civil Engineering) an embankment constructed to prevent flooding, keep out the sea, etc.
2. (Engineering / Civil Engineering) a ditch or watercourse
3. (Engineering / Civil Engineering) a bank made of earth excavated for and placed alongside a ditch
4. (Engineering / Civil Engineering) Scot a wall, esp a dry-stone wall
5. a barrier or obstruction
6. (Earth Sciences / Geological Science) a vertical or near-vertical wall-like body of igneous rock intruded into cracks in older rock
7. (Fine Arts & Visual Arts / Furniture) Austral and NZ informal
a. a lavatory
b. (as modifier) a dyke roll
vb
1. (Engineering / Civil Engineering) Civil engineering an embankment or wall built to confine a river to a particular course
2. (Engineering / Civil Engineering) (tr) to protect, enclose, or drain (land) with a dyke
[modification of Old English dic ditch; compare Old Norse dīki ditch]

Richard

In my original homeland (Welsh border) a dyke was a ditch too. Couldn't understand for a long time what the little dutch boy was supposed to be doing.
Always seemed odd that the same word was used for both a ditch and a bank to retain water or a drystone wall. But vague memory of school Latin is that the latin for wall and ditch were the same word too?

No brainer, go to the home of the driver who hit the parked car, ask him how the other car owner reacted when he admitted bumping his car, if he says he hasn't reported the accident, just smile at him and say, "it will sound better coming from you than me".

As someone who has been a victim of criminal damage (I believe it is a criminal offence to leave the scene of an accident), I think the driver should be charged by the police for failing to stop, failing to report an accident or whatever else he is guilty of.

Stew

MARK.B.":1ywtswdl said:
these gutless wonders have cost me over £700 in repairs to my car and my daughters car,money I could ill afford to lose, yes we could have gone through our insurance but the overall cost of lost NCB and the insurance excess and the inevitable increase in policy premium would end up costing much more.
If only someone had dropped me note with the offenders details !!!.

Unfortunately, in my experience your premium goes up regardless of whether you're at fault or even whether you were present at the car when the damage occurred. One guy I argued with on the phone basically told me that they tot up "someone else hitting your parked car when you're not there" in the same category as a road traffic accident, it's all "an incident" to them, and they've statistically determined that people who have one such "incident" are more likely to have another. Therefore they feel justified in charging you more for your insurance whenever anything happens to your car, even if they don't pay anything out of their pocket for it.

It's almost like insurance companies have noticed that we're legally bound to use their 'service' and so long as they all collude on ripping us off to the same degree they can take what they like... I can't help but view the entire industry as legally-sanctioned theft.

Well, I went round to next door but one and told them about what i saw as it was their mothers car. They need a new bumper and fog light and he hasn't owned up. I made it clear I would rather not have my name mentioned but if needed I stand by what I saw.

I would like somebody to do it for me and therefore it is only right I do it for someone else.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Its forever in the news. Old lady beaten up in busy town center.. girl raped on back of a bus dies. If every single person stood up instantly and turned on the criminal, alot of crime would be avoided as they wouldnt dare do it. The thing that has stuck in my mind is, if it happened to him im sure he'd be less than inpressed but its ok to do it to somebody else.

Judge a man not by his mistakes but how he deals with those mistakes.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Back