What wood is this please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CYC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Can you identify this wood
cd%20cupboard%20stain%20colour.jpg

cd%20cupboard%20stain%20colour2.jpg

Also, can you tell me what stain to use to get close to this?

Many thanks in advance.

CYC,
Andy is right, It's oak. If you look at the rail on the right of the top picture you can see the medullary rays, the quartersawn figure. That's a dead giveaway.

As for the stain, well it's "normal" colour for Dark Oak (as opposed to Light Oak, Medium Oak or Black Oak), so I'd try a tin of that on some scrap and see what it looks like.

Cheers
Steve

CYC":34qkrxzn said:
Steve, I don't understand what you mean by "normal" stain for Dark Oak?
Probably the tin marked "Dark Oak", as opposed to the one marked "Mahogany" or whatever. :D Always confuses my family if I make anything in oak 'cos I never stain it. "What's that lovely wood? Oak?! But it's not dark. Hey, it's a really nice colour, isn't it?" :roll:

Cheers, Alf

I have just polished a draw leaf table like that and I found that i had to use two stains :) ( not as hard as it sounds )
If you can try to find a polish supplyer and go to them with the top or one of the leaves, which ever is the colour you want and ask for a light fat stain to match.
If you dont have one near you, try some golden oak first (that is if your table has a golden yellow back ground , which it looks like it does) and then if you get a Medium Oak stain that will go in some sanding sealer ( a spirt stain if you can get it ).
Put alittle of the medium oak in the sealer and brush it on ( get a good brush for this ), follow the grain and you should get a good colour match this way.
Make sure you do it in natural light if you can :)
Just take your time
Try here for your stains http://www.wsjenkins.co.uk/

CYC,
To give you an idea of what stains will look like I used Jenkins (see link in Colin's reply) water based golden oak stain (2 applications) on new american white oak - the pictures in this gallery give a pretty idea of how it turns out http://www.filehigh.com/viewgallery.php?f=7291. The end result always looks different depending upon lighting.
The oak in your picture looks quite dirty. If you cleaned it up it would look a bit lighter and brighter.
Good luck, Ed

CYC,
to clean the table, try hot water with some washing not to much ( use some mutton cloth) and wipe it over with that.
Dry it off right after, you might see it go alittle white but you can use the stain to get rid of that, with some black wax on that and the table will look alot different :)

The one thing about water stain is that it can be very easy to end up with strips so try the light fast stain as it is a spirit stain and much easier to use.
Plus you can put it in your polish if the job needs to be darker :)

Latest posts

Back