What type of power sander do I need?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ives

Established Member
Reaction score
I got a small belt and disc sander from Axminster which has been great for my tiny pieces I make. But I just resawed some wood down to about 1/4" with I think a 12 tpi blade on my bandsaw and made a small piece but it has saw marks and it's too big for the belt and disc sander. I don't know anything about power sanders, is it an orbital sander I need? The thing I want to sand is about the size of the palm of my hand, it's wooden play food and it's meant to be a piece of bread, so you can get an idea of what it is.

Or it might be cheaper to buy wood already prepared and the right size, just don't know how popular this will be in my shop and I might be better off being able to do it myself? Also not sure if my bandsaw liked me resawing and if it was safe doing a small piece....I fed it in and then held it from the back, which I thought would probably be safe?

You can use a push stick for safety or make some sort of jig. You could always get a portable planer/thicknesser and plane down larger lengths then cut to smaller sizes on a chop saw or on the bandsaw...

Thanks Stormer, I'll try that.

Anyone out there know anything about power sanders? Orbital sanders?

cambournepete":2zrisc69 said:
Sounds too small for an orbital sander unless you try a 1/6 sheet model.
Can't you move the piece across the belt of your belt/disc sander?

When I move it across, it makes gouges in it.

I'm not entirely sure what your problem is but the time to finish the wood is after you've re-sawn it and before you cut it into smaller pieces. Can't you just plane it?

RogerP":1t6l77z0 said:
I'm not entirely sure what your problem is but the time to finish the wood is after you've re-sawn it and before you cut it into smaller pieces. Can't you just plane it?

I don't have a planer. All I have is a scroll saw, bandsaw, and a small belt and disc sander. I live in a small flat and have no room for any more big tools like a planer, thicknesser! I guess I should just buy it the right thickness already prepared.

Ives":3bco2ykv said:
RogerP":3bco2ykv said:

I don't have a planer. All I have is a scroll saw, bandsaw, and a small belt and disc sander. I live in a small flat and have no room for any more big tools like a planer, thicknesser! I guess I should just buy it the right thickness already prepared.

Hand plane?

marcros":1oe7nre5 said:
Ives":1oe7nre5 said:
RogerP":1oe7nre5 said:

Hand plane?

Never heard of that, you mean like this: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p50739 ?

Is it difficult?

yes that is the idea. A block plane might be as good as anything for a piece of timber the size of a piece of bread.

It shouldnt be difficult to get the bandsaw marks out of a piece. Do you have a bench/workmate or something to work on?

marcros":2sg13gh6 said:
Ives":2sg13gh6 said:
RogerP":2sg13gh6 said:

Hand plane?
That is what I meant :)

marcros":2n8s50gv said:
yes that is the idea. A block plane might be as good as anything for a piece of timber the size of a piece of bread.

It shouldnt be difficult to get the bandsaw marks out of a piece. Do you have a bench/workmate or something to work on?

I work on the ground near our building, or my balcony. I have no workshop :(

What is this tool? Would it work for something the size of a small slice of bread?

4-sanding-1.jpg

RogerP":a17zmv31 said:
It's a Ryobi detail sander here Yes it will work with small items.

Thanks! Do you happen to know if it's a good brand? Would it be a good addition to a belt and disc sander?

Ives":jqpzpske said:
RogerP":jqpzpske said:
It's a Ryobi detail sander here Yes it will work with small items.
Thanks! Do you happen to know if it's a good brand? Would it be a good addition to a belt and disc sander?
I think it would complement your existing kit well. Ryobi is certainly a well respected brand. I have a couple of their items and have no complaints.

I can't see that you need a hand sander for a job like that.

As somebody said, just move the workpiece around on your belt sander - it's no different from having the workpiece stationary and moving the sander! Whatever method you use it's a good idea to finish by hand sanding.

If your belt sander is making "grooves" in the workpiece, it's likely that you're holding it in one place for too long, you're pressing too hard or your belt is too coarse.

Or all three! :wink:

Edited to add: you don't say how you're holding the work when using the belt sander - try sticking a small piece of wood on the back (double sided tape should do), then you can hold that and move the work around in as many different ways as you need to leave as few sanding marks as possible then, finish by hand sanding with fine grade sandpaper wrapped around a suitable block.

I've got the Ryobi ECS-1214N. It's not bad, you can use the cheap palm sander sheets from Toolstation but need to use the supplied punch and some scissors to make some extra dust extraction holes. The dust extraction filter bag wasn't great and let fine stuff through but it works well hooked up to the shop vac but you need an adapter to fit (I used a Trend one).

You mentioned your band saw wasn't happy resawing, it might be because your blade is too fine. I've only got a low powered machine and mine struggles with a fine blade, I went for a 3 TPI hook skip tooth blade and it makes a huge difference, cuts much easier but at the expense of a less smooth finish.

Latest posts

Back