What to do with Church Pew

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinhart

Reaction score
HI All

So I may be a little excited / over enthusiastic / may other things... but hey...

A few years back I was able to buy a small Church Pew, it was small and in rather a bad way, so only good for breaking apart and salvaging any decent bits of wood.

Any way I got my first Lathe a few days ago,and have turn a small bowl, and roughed out some mahogany. But now I have some 5" x 5" (oak I think). I have cut the wood short as it had some unfortunate mortice's cut in...

SO my question is: What should I do with this rather old / rather eaten bit of history?

A few pictures to show what I have... I have had to sharpen the chisel 3 times already.

Regards

Colin.

church pew uncut.JPG

churchpew on lathe.JPG

church pew - lathe close up.JPG

Attachments

• church pew - lathe close up.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 971
  • church pew - lathe close up.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 972
  • church pew uncut.JPG
    church pew uncut.JPG
    200.5 KB · Views: 972
  • churchpew on lathe.JPG
    churchpew on lathe.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 972
yep.
Or could you stick it back together? It's often really disappointing how much good wood you can retrieve from a bit of old furniture. Best left as it is, repaired and if necessary, painted.

You could turn a carver's mallet. A few good wallops when it's finished will give any surviving woodworm a headache and they'll hopefully hop it.

Regards Keith

microwave it if it`ll fit or woodworm killer from B+Q works well,then you have a piece with a talking point when finnished,cheers,

Eric.

Back