What to Buy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hpl

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be buying a smallish lathe, that is able to cope with commercial type use, i.e. it will be used regularly and I'll probably make it work hard at times. It needs to have at least an 8.5" swing and could be as small as 18" centres. I would prefer variable speed. It would also be helpful if it was a standard thread size to make chucks easy to get hold of. Oh and not too many '0' on the end of the price tag :wink:
Does anyone have any experience of any suitable lathes that would fit the bill, or suggestions of where to start looking?

Johnny B

hpl":3vha4xiy said:
I'm going to be buying a smallish lathe, that is able to cope with commercial type use, i.e. it will be used regularly and I'll probably make it work hard at times. It needs to have at least an 8.5" swing and could be as small as 18" centres. I would prefer variable speed. It would also be helpful if it was a standard thread size to make chucks easy to get hold of. Oh and not too many '0' on the end of the price tag :wink:
Does anyone have any experience of any suitable lathes that would fit the bill, or suggestions of where to start looking?

Johnny B

What i'd suggest depends on how much money and also on whether you are happy to buy s/h or want new.

if you want a new purchase and have a limited budget I'd look at an axminster lathe like the M950 ( ive had an M900 for 8 years and it is still going strong despite regular use)

If your budget is larger you would do well to look at one of the WivaMac lathes which are very well built and powerful (however these go well over the £k)

If you are happy to buy second hand i would look at either a graduate , one of the wadkin series or a Myford ML7 or 8 - check out G&M tools for a decent range of second hand kit.

whatever you choose dont forget to budget at least 150 notes or so for a scroll chuck and a couple of jaw sets (personally i like the versachuck from tool post , but others swear by the axminster or sorby versions) if you are going to be turning regularly you dont want to be stuck with just a faceplate and centres.

Hi,

I forgot to say that I have a Wadkin RS, very large machine, and am an experienced turner. I am looking for something small as well, but don't want a hobby machine that will not last the constant use it will get. I started on a Myford ML7 22 years ago but it doesn't have a big enough swing for what I want, and I don't like the tool post arrangement. I also used a Wadkin Tradesman for several years but it used to go through bearings regularly and ended up with play in the bearing housing. I also wore the tailstock up, well me and the previous owners. :D
I am really looking for something smaller than the Wadkin, probably the myford type size but with a larger swing, I'll use the Wadkin RS for the really big stuff.
I guess I'm looking to tap into the collective knowledge of what is a good machine without buying something that looks good only to discover that it is not what it seems. I usually buy second hand, so that is no problem to me, especially if it saves quite a bit. The Graduate is again a bit big for what I want. I'll look up WivaMac. Any other ideas as well?

Thanks, Johnny B

hpl":1dwgzwdl said:
Hi,

I forgot to say that I have a Wadkin RS, very large machine, and am an experienced turner.

hi jonny - thats a different fish of kettles then ( I originally thought you were new and starting out)

do you need the 8" over the bed ? - if so this may well be problematic as most of the smaller lathes i have encountered only give about 6"

However the axminster M950 has a swivel head and when turned 90 degrees will swing up to arround 14" without a problem ( i have been known to swing 24" on mine but that involved a free standing tool rest, and a lot of very hairy moments)

I dont think you will have a problem with the engineering quality of the axy - mine has as i said stood up to eight years hard use, in some cases turning things for which you would probably use the wadkin.

I turn mostly between centres, we produce lots of these
http://www.edwardharpley.com/
and the diameters are usually only up to 6". A 6" block is 8.5" across when it is square, hence the need for that swing.

hpl":2zlvzrb2 said:
I turn mostly between centres, we produce lots of these
http://www.edwardharpley.com/
and the diameters are usually only up to 6". A 6" block is 8.5" across when it is square, hence the need for that swing.

Hmm - i think you might have a problem getting a small lathe that can swing 8.5ins over the bed - I cant think of any off the top of my head (tho a lot of lathes advertised as 6" swing can do a bit more than that as they normally alow about an 1" fo safety)

plenty of big lathes like the wivamac, vb36 and graduate can , but in that case you might as well use your wadkin (why are you wanting a lighter lathe ? btw the wadkin would certinly be more than sufficient for me)

another option that springs to mind is to use a deep throated bandsaw to cut the block round which would then only need a 6" swing lathe of which there is a massive choice.

plenty of big lathes like the wivamac, vb36 and graduate can , but in that case you might as well use your wadkin (why are you wanting a lighter lathe ? btw the wadkin would certinly be more than sufficient for me)

We are going to need a second lathe so that we can have two people working on them at the same time. As lots of the work could be on a smaller machine it makes sense for the second one to be smaller, less cost, less power needed etc. etc.

another option that springs to mind is to use a deep throated bandsaw to cut the block round which would then only need a 6" swing lathe of which there is a massive choice.

It is much quicker to remove the corners on the lathe than on the bandsaw. Maybe I'll have to go for something slightly larger than I want to get the larger swing.

Thanks for your input.

Johnny B

What about the Vicmarc 300, I don't know much about them but they look good. Have a look in (Sticky: Members Wood Working Lathes) at the top of the list, there is a nice picture.

there is a poolewood superlathe for sale s/h here http://www.gandmtools.co.uk/cat_leaf.php?id=5768

which might do the trick - its hard to say what the maximum swing is but it looks pretty substantial and well built

also I just realised that we are talking crossed purposes on swings - if a block is 8" dia then it needs a 4" (plus a bit) clearance between centre and bed - I was thinking you needed 8" between centre and bed but quite clearly you dont doh as they say. :oops:

this being the case there are loads of small lathes which will do the trick including the axminster range, fox, the wiva macs, and who knows who else

Looking at the Vicmarc they do a 100 which would be big enough for my requirements. Looks like it would have the build quality I would want and at a reasonable price, especially if I add the motor and electronics myself. Does anyone have experience of them who would could pass judgement?

you gutys sound like you know lathes so with a buget of say 1000 to 1.500
what starter lath would you chose for a newbie i have looked at therecord nova series 8 with outrigger nova2 chuck and stand for 999but have heard the axminister/jet might be better your comments please
lawrence

hpl":1ewbrlxz said:
Looking at the Vicmarc they do a 100 which would be big enough for my requirements. Looks like it would have the build quality I would want and at a reasonable price, especially if I add the motor and electronics myself. Does anyone have experience of them who would could pass judgement?

I've used the Vicmarc 100 many times at club demos and it's a good little lathe when mounted on a good solid bench. The build quality of all Vicmarcs is very good so it should be fine for commercial use. I was unable to see your link to what you are producing so I'm not sure what thickness/weight you are wanting to turn. With the club lathes I've used the motor was a little under powered for me when I'm initially roughing down but then I'm use to a 3 hp motor and am heavy handed :roll: If you are adding your own motor and electronics this may not be an issue. If you check with Phil at Vicmarc UK http://www.philirons.com/ he will be able to advise you.

Thanks for your reply Mark. My Wadkin only has a 1.5hp, I think, and I do slow it down quite often, but have just got used to it. I'm turning between centres, 6" square blocks, up to 12" long and the hardest timber I usually use is oak. So the Vicmarc is probably ideal? Is there anything else I could consider, or is that about the best there is in small lathes anyway?

Lawrence, sorry, I have no knowledge of those lathes, although others probably have.

there is a poolewood superlathe for sale s/h here

Too big for what I want, and from what I have heard, not the best of lathes to use, although it is cheap.

Thanks guys, Johnny B

hpl":3qld76br said:
Thanks for your reply Mark. My Wadkin only has a 1.5hp, I think, and I do slow it down quite often, but have just got used to it. I'm turning between centres, 6" square blocks, up to 12" long and the hardest timber I usually use is oak. So the Vicmarc is probably ideal? Is there anything else I could consider, or is that about the best there is in small lathes anyway?

I do wonder if the size of blank you are turning might be a little big for the Vicmarc 100. I know it has the capacity to take that size but to turn it at a decent speed you will have to make sure the lathe is on a good solid bench and bolted to the floor. There is also the issue of the bearings' placement. They are very close on the 100 and I'm not sure how they will hold up to continue turning of that size blank. It might be advisable to go for a bigger lathe where it well within the capacity of the lathe if you are using it in a commercial environment ie continual use.

You could look at the Nova DVR. I've used this lathe many times and it quite impressive regarding the power. It 'fights' back when you make heavy cuts by putting in more power to maintain the speed. The only thing I don't like about it is the positioning of the controls on the headstock but if you are mainly working between centres this isn't an issue.
http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index....at=148&sef=NOVA SERIES VARIABLE SPEED MACHINE

I have a Vicy 300 and it is an excellent machine. I agree with Mark that the 100 may be a little small but the do the 175 which is an excellent compromise.

As Mark said, give Phil a bell (I think he has a copy of a review done recently on his site).

Back