What timber is this?.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mreagleeyes

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that it's Oak but as my knowledge of timber runs to Iroko and Teak so far, therefore I could be very wrong.

4395232153_4c34d04b3d_o.jpg

The problem is that the timber has aged to a nice silver colour and the picture is too far away from the wood to see the grain. It could be one of a number of hard woods, I have no idea which.

motownmartin":2x8fh1cf said:
To be honest Mreagleeyes, its not easy to tell from the photo or which piece you are trying to identify.

Erm the two big wooden things in the picture!!.
The loungers, a client wants something similar and am just thinking of what the timber could be. I't is quiet difficult to tell from the photo but that's all I've got to work on at the moment, silvering over time.
Cheers.

DaveL":3isfkr89 said:
The problem is that the timber has aged to a nice silver colour and the picture is too far away from the wood to see the grain. It could be one of a number of hard woods, I have no idea which.

That's why I'm struggling, not sure if this is a piece just of the production line or ten years into it's life in the sun. I'm going with Oak.
Cheers

Mreagleeyes":2ot1j85m said:
motownmartin":2ot1j85m said:
To be honest Mreagleeyes, its not easy to tell from the photo or which piece you are trying to identify.

The loungers, a client wants something similar and am just thinking of what the timber could be. I't is quiet difficult to tell from the photo but that's all I've got to work on at the moment, silvering over time.
Cheers.
Okay, there's no need to get cocky, I thought the vases may have been turned wood, so bad is the photo or I need to go to the opticians again :lol:

motownmartin":22m39kyy said:
Mreagleeyes":22m39kyy said:
motownmartin":22m39kyy said:

Cheers.
Okay, there's no need to get cocky, I thought the vases may have been turned wood, so bad is the photo or I need to go to the opticians again :lol:

I thought that after I wrote it, sorry mate. Just thought it was a bit obvious.

No idea, but I doubt it's oak. Probably some sort of Teak or Mahog.

Where was the photo taken? Britain? Mars?

Silvering over time is a rubbish clue as all timber will do that (it's just the bleaching effect of UV light). That has the advantage of giving you lots of lee-way.

If I was to hazard a guess on the non-evidence available as to what those particular ones are made of, I might just say it's softwood because of the grain on the side panel of the right hand lounger thing. Confidence level: circa 1%.

Cheers guys.
Just thought some one may have had the answer. The clients getting Teak whether they like it or not.
I have to do a drawing from this very informative picture somehow.

If it's going to be left to go silver, why not use another super-durable - most are much cheaper than teak. Find a nice FSC super-durable, and spend the extra on taking over one of those sun-tan parlours, fill up their booths with your wood and fry it to get the look.

I hope your client understands that it will take a couple of years for the Teak to patina & look like the photo.

If those things are loungers. They may well be in the order of 2m in length. Scaled up that makes the grain on the side of the further one very wide. Is it a paint/stain effect? If the colour is down to natural fading, the things seem to show remarkably few other aging problems. For example very little sign of damage to corners etc..

Of course that doesn't help with identifying the timber.
xy

i'm not sure that is grain pattern on the side of the one on the right. if you look closely, those lines follow through the pivoting back....not the same piece of timber.

i reckon it could be cedar, the colour is bang on.

good luck

jeff

jeffinfrance":3298hmhf said:
if you look closely, those lines follow through the pivoting back....not the same piece of timber.

i reckon it could be cedar, the colour is bang on.

good luck

jeff

I noticed that but thought that it may have been just a different cut of timber.
Cedar, interesting!!.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back