what size 110 transformer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomP

Established Member
Reaction score
At the moment I only have a 110v plunge saw however need to get a transformer.

I'm looking at a defender 1 KVA transformer, as its nice and small.

would this be fine to run the saw off? Then in future possibly and extractor and maybe mitre saw or would i need a bigger transformer to cope with that?

hope the question isn't too vague, just tied between buying one ill soon outgrow and have to buy again, compared to carrying around un necessary weight.

The thing about a single workshop is you can only run one machine at a time plus the extractor, its more a question of how many outlets do you need, instead of plugging in one machine and then unplugging to connect another, do also take into account the surge from the transformer when switching it on, it may trip out a supply that is being used by something else.

Mike

Most people on on building sites have a 3.3kw transformer with two outlets. Any smaller and I think you'd struggle to power the saw and extractor at once.

I run a plunge saw with extractor off a 3.3kVA tranny, I also run lots of other tools off it. A 1kVA transformer would definitely not deal with my saw and extractor set up. I'm not sure if the 3.3kVA tranny would deal with me running the plunge saw and my mitre saw at the same time. I don't remember if I've ever tried but I do only have one pair of hands.

Hi,

Thanks for the response, think ill get a 3.3 just to be sure.

Appreciate it sounded like a pretty simple question.

I don't know much about transformers myself but I remember reading on the Festool Owners Group that Festool recommend a 5kva transformer if you are using an extractor and their mitre saw together due to the power needed when they both start up. A lot of weight to carry around though.

Doug

A 5 kva transformer has the potential to supply 45amps, can't think for one moment that two Festool units can have that sort of power requirement, the important bit, if the transformer is sufficient for the load is the supply to the transformer, the start up surge from the transformer will trip out an inadequate supply.

Mike

Had a quick search on the Festool Owners Group and found where I had seen about 5kva transformer.

Re: Kapex lacking power when connected to ct26
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2016, 10:05 AM »
Got in touch with Festool uk service today regarding the ct/kapex issue and they confirmed that the transformer needs to be 5kva as the vac can't pull enough power from a 3.3kva for the initial start up of both machines as well as when under load. They advised either running them separate and manually operating the vac (. Which is a pita) or use the larger transformer which is equally a pain but at least once it's out the van and rigged up it won't need to be moved until the job is complete, going to see what the best prices can get on a 5kva transformer. Does anyone know if you can buy an additional 110v outlet to fit to a ctl26 to run 2 tools off the one vac?

3.3 kva will do you Ive run a ts55 on 3.3 tranny for 10 years now.

The only thing it sometimes struggles with is my Kapex but saying that it was fine running it through my midi vac last week but I was just cutting MDF skirting and architrave.

Latest posts

Back