What should my next powertool spend be?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeJhn":wksal7tj said:
The main problem with any of these so called guides is they don't hold the saw in place and its easy to wander off line, I find it easier to use a marked line and just keep the front of the saw clear of debris............

It's virtually impossible to wander off line. I have no idea why you would claim otherwise. The problem with following a line is that you have to look over the saw and thus put your face (and eyes in particular) where all the dust is going. The best goggles in the world aren't 100% effective. I have absolutely no problem whatever with people owning tracksaws, or even claiming they are better than a clamped guide.........but I do object to spurious and misleading claims , such as you've just made about sawing to a guide.

I ripped 5 waney edged boards into planks last night using the clamped straightedge shown in my photo, and having done it thousands of times before I know without even checking that the edges are straight, and ready to be planed. Honestly, "easy to wander off line"............ridiculous. Why say stuff like that?

Because that is what has happened when I have tried it, calm down its only a thread not life and death.

Sounds like a blunt blade issue.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

More likely the circular saw's base is not totally parallel to the blade, causing the cut to wander.

Mark A":1lz85tk5 said:
More likely the circular saw's base is not totally parallel to the blade, causing the cut to wander.

That is probably the case, will check it, but I hardly ever use the circular saw now days.

MikeJhn":1c6xsekx said:
Because that is what has happened when I have tried it, calm down its only a thread not life and death.

I find mine sometimes wanders a bit if I'm reaching over to do a cut around two feet in but OK when shorter reach. No doubt down to operator error.

Back