What shed?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green

Established Member
Reaction score
I already have two huts (8'X12' and 8'X16') that need pulling down and replaced with something secure and watertight.
For a number of reasons (one of which is moving into a house that is falling down around me) I do not have the time to build a workshop so am considering buying one ready made.

Anyone got any experience of ready built/flatpack workshops?

All advice welcome

try going to a timber yard that also builds outdoor furniture, my local one does what appears to be good deals on the buildings they make.

Green":3u5iizh3 said:
I already have two huts (8'X12' and 8'X16') that need pulling down and replaced with something secure and watertight.
For a number of reasons (one of which is moving into a house that is falling down around me) I do not have the time to build a workshop so am considering buying one ready made.

Anyone got any experience of ready built/flatpack workshops?

All advice welcome

Watch out for the poor quality single sheet of roofing felt they supply. Give serious consideration to just giving it away, and buying some decent quality stuff from the local builders merchants. I *almost* did the above on the summerhouse I bought. Sadly, I didn't and it ripped off in the first sniff of wind in the winter. That means another day to refelt it. A real waste of my time.

Adam

I bought a "waltons" groundsman off the internet last year.
The site has customer feedback, nearly everyone there said same thing

1. great price
2. great delivery service
3. poor felt
4.Poor windows
5. bouncy thin floor

I looked at alternatives including build my own.
Next Cheapest 16 x 12 was over £2000

So I bought Waltons for £850
Bought 2 rolls felt from Wickes £40
18mm ply for overfloor from timber yard just over £100
Got double glazed widows to size (took a few weeks waiting) from off local double glazing skip £00
Used time saved on DIY build to fit it out & build a new bench

Am very pleased with it

Was a bit hot in there this weekend so next job is a small extractor vent in the apex.

I went the same route as Lurker and bought a Waltons 8 x 16 shed. Here is a link to my posting about it https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9792&highlight=

The first thing that had to go was the windows. I bought one for a tenner of ebay and one was given the other by my brother. I laid 18mm chipboard over the floor, screwed down to the joists. I bought more felt and adhesive for the roof. I have now insulated and clad most of the inside and its really nice and comfortable. The only other comment I would make regards the doors. My next job is to replace them! They are not flat and not very secure, but then it is a shed!

Thanks for the help folks.

I realise that what ever i get i will probably have to spend a bit extra on fitting out. I had planned on insulating and drywalling anyway as it will be fairly close to houses.
Im fairly lucky that it was a spark who owned the property before me and there is 16amp power to the existing sheds.

All the suggested suppliers have been a bit far away for me to go have a look (Im in East Lothian). I have seen a few locally that you could spit pea's through and am a bit wary of ordering blind.

Anyone have any experience of the metal or plastic sheds? I think there would be problems with heat and/or condensation myself.

Thanks again

Green,

Anyone have any experience of the metal or plastic sheds? I think there would be problems with heat and/or condensation myself.

I have no experience of a metal workshop but if you take the mentioned £1800/£2000 for a 8x12/8x16 timber one, then £1159 for a 10x15 or £2000 for a 10x33 metal one seems good value for money, and £100 to £200 to part erect it (what ever that means) is not too bad either.
http://www.leisurebuildings.com/storemo ... order-form

The only trouble is you may very well be right about the condensation, I am not sure.

Good luck with what ever type you go for.

Cheers

Mike

Matt,

No, the walls are no where near 18 mill - I'd guess nearer 9.
However, as I "infilled" almost all the walls with 9mm MDF to hang my tools on then walls are now at least 18mm.

Green,

Whilst I've no experience of metal sheds, logic says you will regret it. cold in winter oven in summer and condensation ruining your kit.

Regarding buying unseen - thats why I dithered for months - but as I say I think for the price its unbeatable.

By the way, I notice the same shed in Argos catalogue

Back