What power screwdriver bits.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

During my shed build, I have found my screwdriver bits have not been lasting very long, (they tend to slip a lot). admittedly they are not very expensive ones.

What make would you recommend I buy?

I bought a full set of Wiha bits and bit holders late last year and they are very nice indeed. No problems so far. I also prefer to use T-Star Spax screws, much less chance of cam-out.

I also use the Wera extra hard bits, have a look at Screwfix, they do a good range.

Jason

After buying a set of Wiha scredrivers recently, I would definately try Wiha screwdriver bits if I needed them.

D

Wera diamond are the most durable I have used BUT they're too brittle if your using an impact driver -

Thanks for your replies.

WiZeR

I have a set of Wiha Gold bits which seem to cam out. Perhaps it's the screws?
I have thought of using Spax screws, but have wondered if they are worth the added expense.

Jason

Perhaps I'll buy a small set of Wera extra hard bits and see how I get on with them.

I think we need to take into account that I am using 4" screws. It's about the last 1/2" or so that gets hard. Thats when the bits cam out.

salvage

By impact driver, Do you mean hammer action?

I have used square drive screws before can found only one problem which was the bit getting left in the screw when I pulled the driver away. Would use a bit that could be inserted directly into the chick next time.

Regards

D

I generally find that you get cam-out with any type of philips/pozi screw. Are you matching the screw head/size to your bit? As I say, you get almost zero cam-out with T-Star.

Edit: I use the Wiha quick change locking bit holder. Never had a bit come out of the holder.

WiZeR":3tvp3bcv said:
I generally find that you get cam-out with any type of philips/pozi screw. Are you matching the screw head/size to your bit? As I say, you get almost zero cam-out with T-Star.

Edit: I use the Wiha quick change locking bit holder. Never had a bit come out of the holder.

Your post prompted me to go look at the differences between the two systems. I found this here suggesting that Pozidriv can give you no cam out.

Thanks for that hint WiZeR. Whenever I need to get some again, I would try Wiha for sure.

D

If you are using 4" screws they are likely to be No12 or more commonly 100x6.0, these will need a No 3 Pozi bit not the more commonly used No2

Jason

Pozi was invented to stop cam-out. But in my experience it just about halfs the chance.

Philips was invented to cam out. Pozi is a compromise between wide entry angles/self locating of the bit, and reducing cam out. Impact drivers have much, much less of a tendency to cam out anyway. As I use one, I like the balance that Pozi strikes between ease of entry and ease of exit.

Torx or square drive end cam out completely, but they are so much more fiddly to locate the bit in, that if you have load to drive it is irritatingly slow by comparison. Pozi makes it more mindless and quick.

I have been using Wiha Dura bits for a while now (Axminster stock them, amongst others - I don't know how the Axminster prices compare to others though) and I have found them to be excellent. They are certainly pricey but they have been lasting me for a very long time (intermittent use, but occasionally heavy).

I use the Wiha bit holder too, and the quick-release function on it has proved very useful.

garywayne":1vneyil3 said:
Thanks for your replies.

salvage

By impact driver, Do you mean hammer action?

Yes in common use now for dedicated driving is an impact driver

I don't recommend using your combi on "hammer" for driving screws

If you regularly need to drive bigger/long screws then it's worth considering

I use a MAKITA BTD140RFE 18V IMPACT DRIVER but there are plenty of others out there just as capable

If your not doing much but need less hassle its worth the extra expense
of buying better quality screws (closer tolerances in manufacture ) I have found cheep screws to be badly preforming and no real saving

Salvage

From WikiPedia:

To cam out (or cam-out) is a process by which a screwdriver slips out of the head of a screw being driven once the torque required to turn the screw exceeds a certain amount.

Frequently, camming out damages the screw, and possibly also the screwdriver, and should normally be avoided. However, the Phillips head screw and screwdriver combination was designed specifically to cam-out, as at the time of its invention torque sensing automatic screwdrivers did not exist. The Phillips design is auto-centering, that is, the screw does not slip off the screwdriver, unlike a normal slotted-head screw or flat-head screws, but cams out once the screw has been driven home. These properties were used to speed up automobile production in the USA in the early years of the industry.

In recent years, automated manufacturing insertion tools can now precisely sense fastener torque. Consequently, it is typical for computer parts, automobiles, and other highly-engineered products, to be assembled with Torx head screws, which have been specifically designed not to cam out.

If Wiha cam out,then better screws (from Reisser Spax Ulti-mate) will help. Torx really helps production lines,less driving pressure stops RSI,and the chance of scratching the product. The positve torx connection allows OK-NOK screwdrivers to work in QA management systems.
For bits i've found Wera,Wiha,Witte,Felo and Turnus all good and they make for Makita,Dewalt,Hilti etc. so are easily spottedby the common packaging.
Matt

Anyone tried the KTX head screws, supposed to work with philips,pozi and square drive bits. The few boxes I've tried cam out when used with a No 2 pozi but seem better with the matched KTX Bits, yet another range of bits to carry around with me :x

Jason

Back