What oil ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny65

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've got some Iroko worktop to make chopping boards, chopping board oil is making it too dark, is there any thing else I can use that won't darken the timber too much ?

Any oil will darken the timber. I have always used Danish Oil until recently trying out Osmo Top Oil. Yes it is expensive but the application is simple and the finish excellent. TopOil - Osmo UK
I used the 3058 Matt, but the 3068 Natural might suit your needs better.

Colin

Highly unlikely, spray water on the end grain and see what shade it goes, if its still super dark then your out of luck.

Give osmo top oil a go. I occasionally make hardwood chopping boards and it works well on them.

I'd stick to mineral oil only for chopping boards, chestnut make a good foodsafe oil for it, you could use pure tung oil instead but it takes an age to fully cure especially in cold damp weather.

I'd second tung oil, personally I find a few thin coats diluted approx 50% white spirit and left to dry, and then finished with a coat of undiluted oil wiped on with a cloth works well. Sure it does take a day or two to dry (it actually oxidises) however I personally find the smell quite attractive, and you can adjust the number of finish coats to achieve the sheen you want.
Dispose of used cloths carefully, preferably soaking them in water, since they have a habit of self-combusting....

Hi all,
I've got some Iroko worktop to make chopping boards, chopping board oil is making it too dark, is there any thing else I can use that won't darken the timber too much ?
It's not the oil, iroko darkens if exposed to air and light. The only preventative would be paint.
Chopping boards are untreated as a rule, mainly because there is no treatment which would protect against chopping.

I'd second tung oil
And I'd third Tung oil although I've never used it.
But I've used a lot on boiled Linseed oil on walking sticks and Inuit style kayak paddles - two items that are subject to a lot of wear and abuse, especially paddles. If you stick to the application regimen it lasts incredibly well and I understand that Tung oil (subject to correction) is the same but better.

Back