What model

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topchippyles

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me which model sedgwick planer this is as having trouble with the roller feeds not gripping

Attachments

• planer.jpg
    planer.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 197
Presume you have tried lubing the thicknesser table? It's the usual reason for rollers slipping

topchippyles":1z4w8nml said:
Can anyone tell me which model sedgwick planer this is as having trouble with the roller feeds not gripping

There's 3 models, PT (10 Inch bed),MB (12 Inch bed) and the CP (16 Inch bed). Sometimes just lubricating the bed with a bit of wax helps the rollers be able to push timber through as the bed can get sticky and high amounts of friction can occur. If that still doesn't work you may need to adjust the pressure bars, I've never needed to do this on any PT so I can't help you other than giving you this link for a manual: Sedgwick PT manual I believe the chapter you're looking for is 13.4.

Thanks guys as just managed to upload image,Its the 12 inch bed model with 2 blade cutter,I have adjusted the pressure bars to,Have waxed and cleaned the beds to,What wax is the best do you guys find.

Attachments

• planer.jpg
    planer.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 195
topchippyles":pdrpq3yi said:
.........What wax is the best do you guys find.

An old candle. You aren't trying to polish it to a shine, just smear multiple swipes of wax across the table.......seconds of a job.

topchippyles":xi594czn said:
Where can i get a new rollers from guys.
I doubt you'd ever need new rollers unless the machine has been incredibly mistreated.
1 Clean and candle wax on the bed as others said above
2 Clean the rollers themselves with steel wool and turps to get the resin off
3 Check the roller bearing housings - they can get packed with shavings and dust - they lift, drop back down and compact the dust and shavings, which keeps them up too high eventually.
Cramp them up by putting in a block of wood and winding up the bed to lift the rollers. You might be able to see compacted dust under each end if you fiddle about with a mirror and a torch, then poke it out with a knitting needle etc. (If it's anything like mine that is)

Machine is immaculate and clean beds and been waxed,Rollers have been cleaned fully and adjusted with new blades fitted,Simple thing is when you feed the timber in to the thicknesser the timber just does not bite on to the roller,The roller bites onto the timber and just marks it without pulling it through.

Have you checked the bearing housings? It's a common problem with other machines though I don't know about Sedgwick. Accumulated dust/chippings get compacted and keep the rollers too high. Difficult to see without probing with mirrors or dismantling.
If not that it must be to do with having been "fully adjusted" but wrongly. The rollers themselves can't deteriorate in some mysterious way.

I does sound like your springs aren't applying enough pressure. Think about it even a plain roller would push the wood through if the roller pressure was right and the beds we're slippy enough. As I mentioned if it's been set up ala the Sedgwick manual and the springs worn it won't work(properly) because the first step is to set the height of the rollers next they set the length of the spring.

Back