What kind of rust is this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that any measures which you can sensibly take will involve covering the surfaces on which you place your tools, as has been mentioned. The similarity to each other of the little holes suggests to me that the surface had perhaps at some time been hit by an aerosol of a corrosive chemical or perhaps the surface itself contained little pockets of corrosive.

If it were mine I'd use a chemical rust converter wiped on and left for a couple of hours to 'stop' any active corrosion in the pits, then clean off / polish and wipe with metalguard to resist any further corrosion.
A little wax to finish and reduce friction.

sunnybob":dtvxwm48 said:
That is still not rust, but it is corrosion. What chemicals have you been splashing all over ( sorry,enry). My money is on caustic.

Not sure you might right there, only this plane has this issue. All the other planes are fine.

Dovetaildave":xvbf5iuo said:
A bit more general info might be of use here.
Maybe I missed it, but on what faces of the plane are affected?
Are there any other planes effected, are they made by same manufacturer?
The other tools that are stored in the same area/shelf/box/cabinet, effected?

Regards,
Dave

P.S. Affected and Effected....way to early, but you get the idea :D

:D
The sole
I have a few LN, Stanley and Veritas, they are all fine except this one

I’ve had similar pitting on new/freshly lapped surfaces. Keep it oiled and use it, all will be fine.

Keyvan":2xqddj6p said:
sunnybob":2xqddj6p said:
That is still not rust, but it is corrosion. What chemicals have you been splashing all over ( sorry,enry). My money is on caustic.

Not sure you might right there, only this plane has this issue. All the other planes are fine.

I've lost enough jeans and T shirts (and one fingernail) to acids and alkalis to know it when I see it
:roll: :roll: :roll: 8) 8)

Back