What kind of axe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morfa

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a stubborn holly tree stump that I'm trying to get out of my garden. We've not got anything strong enough nearby to winch it out with and the impatient wife won't wait for the stump rotting stuff to work. Also one of those stump grinders isn't an option (too expensive). So I'm looking to get an axe to chop the large roots out with.

Any idea what kind of axe would be best? Small hatchet? Or a bigger axe? I'd love a Grunsfors, but they're pretty expensive.

Don't spend money on a Gransfors axe to do this ! The grit in the soil will quickly ruin the beautifully sharp ege you are paying for. I use an old 2 1/2 lb S & J one - plenty good enough for grubbing up tree stumps.

When I used to do gardening I would always use a grubbing mattock for tree roots and prob pruning saw and loppers as well. You can get rid of a stump up to 8" that way, But if you got a stump a foot wide you might struggle

I know you want a nice axe, but I agree with Tony, that's not the job for prime tools. Have you considered a humble mattock? Make sure you wear some eye protection, all sorts starts flying around when you get really stuck into a root.
I got rid of one particularly stubborn root ball by having a few pit fires over it, it soon came around to my way of thinking.

+1 on the mattock. And a 6ft steel bar. I managed to get some pretty big lleylandi stumps out that way. I could have managed without the mattock but not without the bar.

marcros":3dne886g said:
+1 on the mattock. And a 6ft steel bar. I managed to get some pretty big lleylandi stumps out that way. I could have managed without the mattock but not without the bar.

I've removed several hedges and stumps by hand.

Recommended tools:

very strong garden fork, the kind road menders use with 1/2" thick tines

Grubbing Mattock

Long crow bar (6' x 1" ideally)

Axe you're not fond of, because if it's not poor quality when you start, it will be when you're done.
(sharpening can be done with an angle grinder)

Pruning saw (they're designed for confined spaces)

Spade or shovel for removing loose soil

BugBear

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Largeish biceps - Check. Well I'm fairly young and fitter than most, so should be ok. A mate is loaning me a small hand axe and a chainsaw. I have a 3 foot crowbar. We have a couple of garden forks. Pruning saw check, bow saw check.

Would a mattock like this actually be decent - http://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-5lb ... s-33/85777

Or should I look to buy an old second hand one?

Not sure where you'd get a 'very strong' fork from. Any recommendations?

i would get a longer crow bar. the difference in leverage will be huge. if you get one with a chisel point, it may do in place of the mattock.

I can find 4ft ones on Screwfix and 5ft ones on Ebay, so I guess I'll have to wait a little while for one to arrive in the post.

I've got a selection of bars ranging from long and heavy to shorter and pointy if you're stuck. Also got a big hammer.

swb58":19zen6d6 said:
I've got a selection of bars ranging from long and heavy to shorter and pointy if you're stuck. Also got a big hammer.

If I could borrow a long bar that would be wonderful. I'll drop you a PM.

You need to (and will) spend most of your time digging away soil. You will be amazed how well even tiny
roots hold on.

They all need to be found, cleared and cut.

Do not even think about trying to yank it out by (manual) force, even towards the end.

You will fail, and waste effort. :D :D :D

BugBear

Yeah. The last one I did with a winch. Much easier. I suspect this one will be a right sod. I got the trowel out this evening and got quite a long way underneath the thing. Most of the roots are cut off now as well.

Just to put a slightly more useful message.

I have a Gransfor small forest axe and it's a fab but of kit. I used it at the weekend with Scouts to get a fire going. We only had some big logs but quickly we made some kindling from the logs. Great bit of kit. I wouldn't use mine on tree roots - it would do it but you'd be using a craftsman's tool to do a bulldozer job. I'd actually use the winch on my Disco but that's another story!

Back