What job do you do?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
come on........ monoscan screens `an all

lets keep this clean :D

steve

dedee":ilxcytjo said:
Paid holidays, sick pay, pensions etc would be hard to achieve on a self employed basis

I don't think that's true at all. Permie staff are always complaining about how much money the contractors get, but the fact is that with that extra money the contractor gets to pay for his holidays, sick days and pensions.

The fact that the contractor may have a flash car in the car park is possibly indicative that he doesn't take much holiday, or isn't doing much for his retirement. He is able to make those decisions for himself.

Let's look at a bad hair day for you. Say the company you work for gets taken over and you are surplus to requirements? You'll get a decent sized cheque. But how will that help you get a new job in a very competitive world? The contractor will always be better equipped to deal with that situation because that's what he does every so often anyway - contract renewals and perhaps seeing new pastures from time to time. It's much easier for a contractor to face up to being unemployed than it is a lifer who has never had to find another job.

I got pushed into self-employment following enforced redundancy. That is, I didn't make the choice myself because like you I didn't feel I could survive without BigCo looking after me. But this turned out to be one of those events in life that were designed to help me, for which I am grateful.

I much prefer self-employment to having a boss tell me when I can take days off. And giving me a totally pointless performance evaluation each year trying to find boxes to tick so that he can keep my pay rise to a minimum.

Andrew

Andrew,

I understand totally what you are saying hence the "so far" in my earlier mail. Come next summer I expect my number will be up and I'll have to re-think.

On the nostalgia front what I really miss is the twice a day commute around the Wandsworth one way system and the smell of beer. Even at 7am the scent from the Young's Brewery was welcome.

Andy

HandyMac":spnnmb72 said:
-- snip lots of stuff that I agree with --

I much prefer self-employment to having a boss tell me when I can take days off. And giving me a totally pointless performance evaluation each year trying to find boxes to tick so that he can keep my pay rise to a minimum.

Andrew

Absolutely. :D

I work for one of those well known American Oil Companies, presently located in the Delta area Nigeria working a schedule of 28 days on 28 days off type thing.

First degree is in Earth Science with post grade in Safety Management, present job is Safety Engineer. Can't really complain because it pays the bills, but my preferred job is to retire to my narrow boat and workshop.

Waka":1v2nvq4w said:
I work for one of those well known American Oil Companies, presently located in the Delta area Nigeria working a schedule of 28 days on 28 days off type thing

One of my customers earlier this year was on that sort of arrangement. Must admit, from what he was telling me Nigeria wouldn't feature on my preferred list of places to visit.

I'm sure it's an okay sort of place, but perhaps not quite as nice as I am used to in the UK.

Andrew

Hi All,
I work for a small firm doing property maintenance for retail businesses and disabled access ramps. Spend most of the day in front of the monitor and the rest on the road doing site visits.
Not as exciting as some of you superstars, but it pays the bills-and my credit card!!! (mostly :roll: )
cheers
Philly :D

Hi All,

I used to work in IT as a Marketing Diurector but have moved over the past three years to being an executive coach, life coach and consultant. The varioety is great and I get paid to do something I would do for free...whooppeeeeeeee!.

best regards all

tx2man":3613c2oo said:
CYC wrote
I am too shy to tell what I do for money

Phew :roll: I thought the words 'boy' and 'rent' were
on the way :wink:

TX

Come on tx2man, you can see from CYC's avatar, he's actually a rocket launcher tester!

Adam

hrocket.jpg

the safety goggles are a bit over the top :shock:

why does he need "plugging in" :lol:

steve

CYC":1g15av12 said:
It's new technology I am not allowed to speak of :!:

Taliban Rocket Launchers Simulation and Training Services Ltd isn't it? :? :roll:

Adam

Back